Custom Cylinder Bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I agree that the minimum distance is as you describe, the reality is usually slightly more, depending on how the bands are designed.

I have never seen bands designed such that the bolt fits exactly between the tanks.

Even the video you linked shows an obvious space between the bolt and the tanks, of seemingly 1" or more. I am just eyeballing it, but it seems that the width of the center plate is a better approximation of the addition distance that needs to added to the tank diameter to determine the final manifold spacing.

Last edited:
While I agree that the minimum distance is as you describe, the reality is usually slightly more, depending on how the bands are designed.

I have never seen bands designed such that the bolt fits exactly between the tanks.

Even the video you linked shows an obvious space between the bolt and the tanks, of seemingly 1" or more. I am just eyeballing it, but it seems that the width of the center plate is a better approximation of the addition distance that needs to added to the tank diameter to determine the final manifold spacing.

I just checked and the answer is 5. Five angels can dance in the head of a pin......

Why is there "an obvious space between the bolt and the tanks, of seemingly 1" or more" between the tanks in the video I posted?

The tanks I used for the video are 2250 lp Steel 72" that are 6.9" in diameter. Most modern manifolds are 215 mm or 8.46 inches center to center. 8.46 - 6.9 = 1.56 A 1.56" space between the tanks is expected.

Had I used a 185mm (7.28) center to center manifold there would have been only .38" between the tanks, or just enough room for a .375 bolt.

I've serviced many sets of aluminum 80's fitted with 185mm manifolds where even 1/4" band bolts left an imprint in each tank. 185mm = 7.28" Al 80's are 7.25. That leaves .03 for a .25 bolt.

Tobin

Last edited:
[QUOTE="guruboy, post: 7905349, member: 427510"....I have never seen bands designed such that the bolt fits exactly between the tanks.

Even the video you linked shows an obvious space between the bolt and the tanks, of seemingly 1" or more. I am just eyeballing it, but it seems that the width of the center plate is a better approximation of the addition distance that needs to added to the tank diameter to determine the final manifold spacing.[/QUOTE]

Umm... Try doubling up a set of 8" diameter LP95 or 104s.. Just room enough for the bolt!

Good point about 8" tanks. I've mainly done AL80 tanks with just modern 8.5" manifolds and bands.

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom