Custom wetsuit - Boggled by neoprene types sold by different custom wetsuit companies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

henderson has a custom line called digital fit i have one it fits good i have a 7mm farmer john and a 5mm shorty they will add zippers or what ever. i get cold easy so i have gone dry.

Thanks for the info so far :) Let me just clarify a couple of things:

1) I do need a custom wetsuit. I have tried on many, many off-the-rack suits, and they just don't fit. It's not so much that they don't stretch as that when they fit me in one area they are huge and gaping in another. So if it's okay, I'd like to discuss just the custom manufacturers.

2) I realize that to some folks it may seem like I've over-thinking it. But I know myself, and not only am I a detail person, but I tend to keep my gear for a loooong time. Even if I don't dive 100 times a year, I tend to snorkel quite a bit (can't show that in the profile though). Also, I just like to know what I'm getting, on principle - and the moreso if I'm going custom. I'm the type who reads ingredients at the grocery store :)

3) Although I will probably be getting a 3mm jumpsuit (maybe with some 5mm sections), I plan to wear it with a 3mm shortie much of the time (75º water), so it won't always be "just" a 3mm suit.

I love that list of who uses what neoprene - if only the companies I'm considering were on it (besides Wetwear)! D_B, can you tell me where you found the list?

Thalassamania, I feel like I understand what Wetwear is saying. That is, that Rubatex is great stuff, but that their other neoprene is still very good stuff. If only I could compare it to what the other custom suit makers are supplying!

Thanks all,
B.
I found it right here on the Wetwear website ... Wetwear - Hyperbaric Chamber Test Wet Suits for Neoprenes - How does yours hold up? .. you have to click on the chamber

I know that looking at all the info at the site can be daunting, but I think that if you "read the lable" you will come away with a good impression of the NCS models.

I also think that JMJ wetsuits have a very good rep ... JMJ Wetsuits

Rubatex 231 has two things going for it - it's 100% neoprene, instead of being a mix of neoprene and cheaper, less rugged SBR resins, and the bubbles are nitrogen blown, which gives very small, even bubbles. Cheaper neoprenes have chemicals mixed in which outgas to make the bubbles as the resin is baked. The cheaper Rubatex grades tend to be mostly neoprene, but don't have the blown bubbles.
Only thing is, neoprene suppliers have found ways to make really soft, stretchy suits using custom non-neoprene resins. These suits fit and feel great - but will not last as long as pure neoprene but are often a lot more comfortable and easier to get on and off. So there is a tradeoff to be made.
I think Wetwear promotes 231 because almost no one else is using it anymore (for recreational suits at least) so it gives them something that makes them stand out from the pack.

Oh, all neoprene compresses under pressure, though some more than others. The notion that 231 doesn't compress until 500 feet is absurd. While there are significant differences in how different brands and grades of neoprene compress, the big thing is how well the recover afterwards! Some suits will break down significantly in a dozen or so dives, others, N231 especially, will last 100s.

I have a G-231N suit, but it's made out of the thickest material they Make. And yes it does crush down just like all the others but perhaps not as much. At the second and third ATM's the crushing is the most apparent and as I go deeper it's not as bad.

One thing about G-231N you might want to know. It's denser than the other materials and harder to move in. It can take some doing to get a Rubatex suit broken in. In your case with a 3 mil the denser g231 should be marginal as far as break in. On the thicker suits is where it takes some work. Once underwater though and with some pressure on it they seem to smooth out just fine.
My G-231n suit is probably one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Oh, all neoprene compresses under pressure, though some more than others. The notion that 231 doesn't compress until 500 feet is absurd. While there are significant differences in how different brands and grades of neoprene compress, the big thing is how well the recover afterwards! Some suits will break down significantly in a dozen or so dives, others, N231 especially, will last 100s.

I agree, my G231 suit compresses like any other and the neoprrene is heavier and stiffer than most. I don't trust the Wetwear test because I have compared swatches of glomax and G231 at depth and saw no significant differance in thickness. The main advantage is that Rubatex holds up much better than most other neoprenes, so in the long run you should stay warmer. My wife has a 5 mm Rubatex suit (not G231) from Wetwear and after many trips it is maintaining its thickness very well.

There are many other custom wetsuit makers you might want to contact, M&B and Deep Thought to name two. Is Kettenhoffer still in business? They might offer better prices on high quality neoprenes. Wetwear in our experience can be a bit funny to deal with.

Ralph

I agree, my G231 suit compresses like any other and the neoprrene is heavier and stiffer than most. I don't trust the Wetwear test because I have compared swatches of glomax and G231 at depth and saw no significant differance in thickness. The main advantage is that Rubatex holds up much better than most other neoprenes, so in the long run you should stay warmer. My wife has a 5 mm Rubatex suit (not G231) from Wetwear and after many trips it is maintaining its thickness very well.

There are many other custom wetsuit makers you might want to contact, M&B and Deep Thought to name two. Is Kettenhoffer still in business? They might offer better prices on high quality neoprenes. Wetwear in our experience can be a bit funny to deal with.

Ralph

Whatever issues they have had in the past seem to be behind them. I went in for the fitting on Monday for my second suit (5mm) and they cheerfully called this afternoon to annouce that they completed all work ahead of schedule and are mailing out tomorrow. Not sure how they could be more responsive and customer oriented. Their longer zippers and quality liner make it a breeze to don and doff while other divers struggle when seas get choppy...

P.S. Ask for Christy. She has a rocket in every pocket...Lol

Interesting thread. I was thinking of a G231 custom wetsuit and found Wetwear on the web. I was delighted to see that they offer an allergy test kit (because I have had some issues with neoprene). I phoned and ordered the test kit. But after five weeks and about three calls and three (unanswered) e-mails, no test kit!

Interesting thread. I was thinking of a G231 custom wetsuit and found Wetwear on the web. I was delighted to see that they offer an allergy test kit (because I have had some issues with neoprene). I phoned and ordered the test kit. But after five weeks and about three calls and three (unanswered) e-mails, no test kit!

Well that's not good. Their suits come with a rather robust liner which should mitigate the allergy issue but that fact does need to be reconciled.

Last edited:
I'm just a day or so away from ordering a custom wetsuit (going diving in a few weeks!), and, after having checked the various custom makers websites, searched the archives here, and etc. I just don't know what to think! :confused:

I made a previous thread or two on other aspects of the wetsuit choice (thanks for everyone's input), but now I'm down to the wire, and have to decide to which company to order from. That leads me to.....

I'm confused about the varying types of neoprene they have, and how to realistically compare them. :idk:

1) I read everyone saying Rubatex is the best, which seems to indicate Wetwear. But then in reading a post in the archives from Wetwear themselves, they suggested their non-Rubatex neoprene for recreational use. Not that the Rubatex isn't the best, but they say it's about double the cost of their other neoprene, (which probably puts it out of my range). Also, they say their more economical neoprene is still tested to 80 feet with no compression, which will probably do me quite well (Rubatex is rated to 500 feet -- I won't be needing that anytime soon!).

On the other hand, I just am not fond of the stripe/swoosh/panel patterns Wetwear shows for women. They're just too girly/vampy looking for me. Not that it's about looks, but OTOH if I'm buying a custom suit, I don't want to actively dislike the way it looks either. I haven't ruled them out, mind you, but am considering my options (for, oh..... another 24 hours).

Okay, so if I'm not getting Rubatex, then there are a few other custom makers that have been recommended here.

2) Aquaflite.
I don't see where they say what their base neoprene is, but they advertise a liner of "Oceanliner with Titanium," which is supposed to be warmer and stretchier (I think there is no cloth liner then). The patterns look acceptable. Compression :confused:

3) Horizon/New Wave
Their "better" recommended neoprene is "Titex Plush" which has some kind of terry type lining, and nylon exterior. I like the look of the fit and panels of the suits on their site, and I get a good feeling about the company. But... neoprene compression :confused: And what about that "plush" liner. Is it nicer to put on for the second dive?

4) Liquid Fit
I think I've ruled them out, because the neoprene is of the super stretchy type, and I wasn't keen on the fit of some of the suits they show on their web page, plus semi-new ownership. (They might be fine; but I have to rule in or out somehow.)

Just for background info, I think I'm going to get a 3mm jumpsuit, back zip; and then a 3mm shorty, front zip, plus a hood and socks. The combo will be for diving Florida this winter (75º) and the jumpsuit will be for diving or snorkeling Florida or Caribbean in summer (80º to 85º). I'm a chilly gal :)

Thank you for any light you can shed on this. Either concrete info or questions I should be asking. I know I could call and ask the makers more about their neoprene, but it would be good to know what to be looking for.

B.

PS: The crazy thing is that I used to make my own wetsuits for kayaking. We just butt-glued the seams and even glued in the zippers. There wasn't even cloth on the outside of the neoprene, and it was all black. We used regular clothing patterns from sewing stores to make the shapes (vest, shorts, booties, etc.) Ahh, the Good Olde Dayes :dork2:

You're diving in the Caribbean and southern Florida summer water. Let's not try to get any more complicated or more expensive than a typical 3mm neoprene. Custom cut is highly recommended for the best fit, but 80-degree + water is like lukewarm bathtub water. A 3mm neoprene of any type will keep you plenty warm.

You don't need Rubatex, you don't need TiPlush, just good old fashion neoprene. But in case you want to know, the TiPlush lining really works well when it comes to not sticking to your skin.

Or if you're that worried, go up to 5mm.

You're diving in the Caribbean and southern Florida summer water. Let's not try to get any more complicated or more expensive than a typical 3mm neoprene. Custom cut is highly recommended for the best fit, but 80-degree + water is like lukewarm bathtub water. A 3mm neoprene of any type will keep you plenty warm.

You don't need Rubatex, you don't need TiPlush, just good old fashion neoprene.

Well, I realize I'm "colder" than many people, but the water in the Keys in January is about 75º on the surface (looked in my dive log from January 2008), and for me that would be tooth-chatteringly cold in a 3mm suit. I had written in my notes from those dives that I was wearing 7mm. I think it was a combination of a 3.5mm farmer John, and then a 3.5mm long-sleeved shortie over it. In that I was warm most of the day, but still chilly toward the end of the second dive (although they were not the greatest fitting wetsuit pieces on me).

Since the two scenarios I want to cover are

a) January in the Keys; and,
b) Summer in the Keys/Carib,

I was thinking I'd get a 3mm jumpsuit and then a 3mm shortie. That way I could wear the jumpsuit in summer and not be too hot (I *froze* snorkeling in 80º to 85º water in a dive skin), then add the shortie for winter diving (which is the trip this wetsuit will see first). I'll also get a hood, and I have booties and gloves.

Actually, I was even considering 5mm for the jumpsuit, but I'm concerned that it would be too warm for summer use.

I'm getting the feeling that perhaps asking about this here on the board is making people feel that I'm "too worried" about choosing a wetsuit. I'm sorry about that. It's just a part of who I am: I don't buy a ton of stuff, and when I do, I like to do some research before making a purchase. Then too, I tend to take pretty good care of things, so once I get something, I'm "stuck" with it for a long time (yeah, still wearing the winter hat I got in 1984... but then, I still like it, too :)

The other thing is that if I'm not warm and comfortable, that's going to affect the fun of diving. I know that from when I was snorkeling and *freezing*. As much as I love snorkeling, it was hard to enjoy when I was shivering and my hands and feet were numb.

B.

PS: I realize as I read your suggestion that, of the neoprenes offered, I don't know which company's product is the "good old fashion neoprene."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom