Custom wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made the mistake of thinking that the smooth neoprene and everyone's praise of it easing donning meant that I didn't need to add ankle/wrist zippers. I think you should put them in, esp if you're spec'ing a thinker neoprene. The thing is, with a custom suit, it's gonna be pretty tight against your arms and legs, following all their contours accurately. This means, at least for me, that the ankle and wrist openings are pretty narrow. It's not impossible to put it on, esp with the 3mm, but something to consider. Mine is an aquaflite too, which I'm happy with.

Thanks to everyone for providing their recommendations and assistance....

i guess i'll visit to aquaflite so they can take my measurements, probably they can take better measurements than i do...

i'll also get extra zippers as simonk999 suggested, and probably additional seals (e.g. neck)....

another question, why is "wetwear" soooo expensive (over $500 for a 3mm), is it the rubatex neoprene?

thanks again folks :)

Take a mix of hair conditioner and water in a small spray bottle. Ratio of mix between 1:4 to 1:9 (hc:water). A quick spray into the wrists and ankles and the suit will pop right on.

Ralph

I too have an aquaflite. I'm pretty much a medium person and fit into an off the rack size just fine. I have the 2-piece 7 mil and ordered it over the phone, since I live no where near Florida (I'm up near Boston). Never had a problem with the suit, and since I didn't need a custom size, it was about half the cost of my sister-in-law's off the rack size Henderson. Half the cost and I got to pick the colors...

I use the suit snot (suave hair conditior and water mixed 1:1) as well and have no problem slipping into my slightly too tight o'neal 3mil.

I own a 7mm custom suit from LiquidFit. I was very impressed with their commitment to making sure it fit right. I got measured at a local dive shop and when I got the suit the first time it was still a little too roomie in the arms. Christine at LiquidFit insisted that I send it back to be redone. I was just going to live with it because I needed it in 10 days for a trip. She gave me special instructions for where to mail it and got info on where we were going on our trip. She shipped my adjusted suit to the hotel where we were staying. It beat me there!

I also didn't find that my custom suit from them cost much more that an off the rack suit. It has been over a year but I am pretty sure I paid around $450 for a full 7mm titanium suit with wrist and ankle zippers and a 7mm shorty (also titanium).

My advice regardless of who you pick is to be patient. I never should have waited to order my suit a month before my trip. The fit process can take time but is well worth it. I have been several times now in 50 degree water and my LiquidFit suit and it has kept me warm!

Good Luck!

The shop had a tablet of measurements which were taken from my body and sent to the manufacturer who made the suit for me.It cost $100 more than the normal selling price and was painless and worth the wait.All shops should have access to custom info.Ask around.
Cheers hoping it fits Ears,
The Thunder from Down under,
The Gasman.

KC_scubabunny,
I just read your post regarding liquidfit and am glad to know that you are pleased with your suit and their service. I just ordered a custom 5mm wetsuit from them. I found them on line and orderd the suit over the phone since there isn't a local dive shop around that does any custom wet suits. Carolyn at Liquidfit stayed on the phone with me and "walked" me through the measuring. She was very helpful with design ideas and choosing colors also. I'm hoping I'll be as pleased with my new wet suit as you are as pleased with your 7mm from Liquidfit.

~lildiver

I have run a search for custom wetsuits specifically available to Canada and have come up short...any ideas ???...Do the other custom companies ship to Canada eg liquidfit etc. ? If anyone can help I would appreciate it ..................Regards:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom