Cutting an Ice Entrance...Isosceles.Acute,or Obtuse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That make sense, but I sounds like you're pulling the plug out?!? That thing has to weigh a ton, literally! Am I reading that right? Does it pull out, the ice block, easier than it sounds? I bitch and moan about a shovel full of snow, but a block of ice that I suspect is from a big enough hole to allow two divers with all the appropriate gear to fit in!

How do you do it?

If the ice is thick, such as 18" or more, we've cut the triangle in half and used ice screws to attach rope to the blocks. Even then, with several guys and ice chisels for leverage, the blocks can still fight you a bit.... :wink:

Dave C

score the triangle,then cut into managable rectangles
pull away from the hole so you dont add the extra weight
use them for seats/set up blocks
put them back in afterwards
kinda like playing tetrus-but with freakin' big pieces!!!!
check my photos out from last weekend!
nice avatar again jax!......
thanx
have fun
yaeg

Why do you pull the ice out of the hole?? I just cut a triangle and use a firemans pike and push it under the ice. When I am done for the day, I use my line tending rope and wrap it around the block that is shoved under the ice and pull the ice back into place.

I saw Sanctum over the weekend, and I think I have a new rule. If an activity requires more than two disciplines, not my bag. The folks in Sanctum were Cave Diving, Caving, and Rock Climbing. That didn't turn out so well for them.

Activities that require two disciplines, Ice Diving and Mountaineering/Ice Climbing, give me pause!

I have to say, I think you may have spent too much time under the ice and something froze up top side, if you know what I mean.

That is a lot of work.

By the time you cut your hole and remove the block, hump your dive gear out there and don it, I'm sure the ice water feels good, but you've got to be smoked by then?

Then you do your dive, get out of your gear, plug up the hole...wow.

I thought Ice Diving would be interesting, but that sounds like a lot of work.

I saw Sanctum over the weekend, and I think I have a new rule. If an activity requires more than two disciplines, not my bag. The folks in Sanctum were Cave Diving, Caving, and Rock Climbing. That didn't turn out so well for them.

Activities that require two disciplines, Ice Diving and Mountaineering/Ice Climbing, give me pause!

I have to say, I think you may have spent too much time under the ice and something froze up top side, if you know what I mean.

That is a lot of work.

By the time you cut your hole and remove the block, hump your dive gear out there and don it, I'm sure the ice water feels good, but you've got to be smoked by then?

Then you do your dive, get out of your gear, plug up the hole...wow.

I thought Ice Diving would be interesting, but that sounds like a lot of work.

It is really just what you make of it. I dont pull the ice out. I use a chain saw and I can cut a 6' x 6' x'6' hole with 12" thick ice in abour a half hour. This includes sinking a single ice screw and attaching a binder to it.

I have seen divers pull the ice out, use had saws to cut the hole and open up an additional hole at towards the end of their lines for a bail out hole. Each his own way I guess. Like anything else, the more you do it the easier it gets.

Okay, I can't stand it . . . the word is "Obtuse", not "obtruse" . . .

As close to equilateral the better, but as long as the hole is big enough to fit through, it does the job.

We always shove the block under near the hole. I can see the argument for removing the block though because I have seen a diver get the line looped under the block. This will severely limit the ability to communicate with the line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom