cutting device transport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a crap shoot. I had on inspector think long and hard over my old fingernail clipper with a hinged file.

shopping

Most new clippers no longer have that feature.

A few years ago I was in Dakar Senegal for work. Going through security for the flight back my toiletry kit, which is always in my carry-on, was flagged on the scanner due to a similar nail clipper. The security agent said I could keep it if he snapped the nail file off...was not worth the time or energy to discuss it with the guy...one nail file-less clipper and I was happily on my way.

-Z

Long, long ago I flew across country with my sister, who was wearing her pet boa constrictor under her shirt. This is when there was still a smoking section at the back of the plane!

Long, long ago I flew across country with my sister, who was wearing her pet boa constrictor under her shirt. This is when there was still a smoking section at the back of the plane!
No problem with constricting devices like shoe laces, string, belts or Boa Constrictors I guess... ... although a while ago, that’s pretty funny...

I was proud of my packing job... until I realised at 2:30am on the way to the airport that all the cutting tools are still in that box by the dining room table and none made it into checked luggage.

Oh thank god. I was sure you were going to say someone mixed it up and packed the box in your carry-on instead.

At least you still have them...

I feel your pain.

I've always been careful to remove linecutters from my carry-on to avoid problems. On the other hand, being ceramic, they are not especially visible on scanners.

I had my favorite multi-tool taken off me when I left it in my carry-on unintentionally, but had enough time to check it with the airline.

My Eezcut is on the wristband of my computer. I've never had a problem carrying it on.

A set of allen wrenches was a no-go. Apparently I could "disassemble" the plane if I had them on board.

Especially if you call it an emotional support boa constrictor.

I have some performing arts friends who are also very active in the Minnesota Herpetological Society who have pets that are larger and healthier than ones I've seen in zoos.

You know you might be serious about the hobby when you build a concrete bunker for your tortoise. (They are stubborn and once they reach a certain size they will go right through drywall)

My Eezcut is on the wristband of my computer. I've never had a problem carrying it on.

A set of allen wrenches was a no-go. Apparently I could "disassemble" the plane if I had them on board.
I had a similar discussion with UK security on a flight out to the Red Sea - had a multi tool with allen wrenches and an adjustable wrench in my reg bag which was in my carry on and had to hand them over. Personally I reckon the guy doing the screening fancied getting himself some nice tools or am I being too cynical?

I carry on a tribolite cutter as well as a pair of the DGX trauma shears 12-15 times a year and have never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom