cutting pliers or shears for wire/steel line cutting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cant say enough good things about trauma shears. Im a Fireman/EMT and Ive cut all kinds of things with them.

As someone said you can cut a penny (didnt believe it so I tried it). You can cut a big thick basketball shoe off (seen it). If I had to choose between a knife or shears I would go with the shears.

If you look at George Irvine's setup he keeps his shears in his left thigh pocket, bolt snapped to a bungee loop.

does anyone have experience with kevlar line? I have seen it on dive reels, comercial fishing boats, mountaineering and sailboat racing.

I have worked with kevlar cloth (for boatbuilding) and the yarn from the cloth. The stuff is tough it doesn't cut easily with shears. A knife works better.

I would rather have them in a sheath.
Anyone know know what can be used as good sheath for shears?
I really don't want to pay for an expensive one.

thanks!

Attached is a picture of a simple (inexpensive) sheath solution for EMT shears. You can purchase 3/4" clear PVC tubing at many hardware stores. Most will let you purchase by the foot, but you'll only need about 5 inches or so. I punched a hole in the end and attached to a BC clip.

-Cdh

SparkySFD:
Cant say enough good things about trauma shears. Im a Fireman/EMT and Ive cut all kinds of things with them.

As someone said you can cut a penny (didnt believe it so I tried it). You can cut a big thick basketball shoe off (seen it). If I had to choose between a knife or shears I would go with the shears.

If you look at George Irvine's setup he keeps his shears in his left thigh pocket, bolt snapped to a bungee loop.

Any dif in the dive shop trauma shears and the real deal?

Nope. No difference at all. The ones Ive seen in dive shops are just like the ones at work.

I should add this though. Im sure eventually someone will come out with a piece of garbage thats cheaper. Cheaper to produce and may not work as well. But the ones Ive seen, you cant tell the difference between them.

Big-n-Buoyant:
Attached is a picture of a simple (inexpensive) sheath solution for EMT shears. You can purchase 3/4" clear PVC tubing at many hardware stores. Most will let you purchase by the foot, but you'll only need about 5 inches or so. I punched a hole in the end and attached to a BC clip.

Great idea! I just did a similar thing because of your post... I did, however find that 5/8" was a better choice than 3/4".

Seeing that I own a SeaQuest ProQD+, I had two grommet holes that needed filling. Normally intended for a very specific knife, I figured, "hey! why not put a couple bolts through the PVC tubing with washers and stuff, and secure the sheath there!"

So I did, and it works great! Not to mention the fact that I still have about 2/3rds of the tubing left over if the first sheath wears out. :)

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?

-brian

SparkySFD:
Nope. No difference at all. The ones Ive seen in dive shops are just like the ones at work.

I should add this though. Im sure eventually someone will come out with a piece of garbage thats cheaper. Cheaper to produce and may not work as well. But the ones Ive seen, you cant tell the difference between them.

Here's a simple way to keep a pair of shears on you at all times - if you've got a bellows pocket on a wetsuit or drysuit with a bungee loop in it, simply punch a hole in the PVC, and ziptie it to the bungee. Leave the ziptie loose enough so that it can slide along the bungee. I also carry a pair of shears in a waist sheath, but should I drop them (have dropped a pair once but recovered them), you've got a backup pair on hand. I leave these permanently in my drysuit pocket, and just regrease the rust-prone pin every couple of dives.

Shears rock! And you can buy replacement ones for about $4 if you look around. Make sure they're the large ones that gloved fingers fit through, not the itty-bitty sized ones for mini first aid kits.

KrisB:
Great idea! I just did a similar thing because of your post... I did, however find that 5/8" was a better choice than 3/4".

Mine may have been 5/8"... thanks for correcting, so someone doesn't go out and buy the wrong diameter.....

~BnB

Back
Top Bottom