cutting pliers or shears for wire/steel line cutting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-n-Buoyant:
Mine may have been 5/8"... thanks for correcting, so someone doesn't go out and buy the wrong diameter.....

I'm not sure it was a correction -- I brought my newly-purchased shears with me and tried out both before I had a chunk cut off. They both fit, it just seemed that the 5/8" held them better, without relying on the bend that's at the pivot point.

bnelson

I work for the Springfield, Mo Fire Department

I am keeping my Shears in a Halcyon pocket, on a double ender like
G. Irvine. As soon as I can talk my wife into letting me spend the money on a drysuit I will keep everything in thigh pockets. Way easier to get to.

I dont know how to post a picture so I'll show you a link to a page with pictures of Irvines gear setup.

http://wkpp.org/articles/Gear/equip_moreimages_2.htm

Scroll down till you see "Left Pocket Contents" and click on the picture. You can see a double ender its what the trauma shears are held to the pocket with.

Its a stainless steel "clasp" for lack of a better word. It unhooks on both ends, hence the name double ender. You hook one end on the handle and the other on a pocket or bc. Much more secure and robust attachment. You dont worry about losing it this way.......unless you drop it:eek:

'double-ender!' ... makes sense. - - - And seems practical. Had not been to Irvine's web site. Obviously a famous DIR tech. Interesting configurations.

Thanks!
BnB

Actually that was a link to the WKPP website. Its not Irvine's site. Although those pics are of his gear.

You got the famous DIR guy part right. He and Jablonski hold the world cave penetration record. Something like 4 miles at around 300 fsw. :eek:
Definitely got his s**t together.

Hi,

I just bought the OMS line wire shears today. Does anyone use this with the OMS sheath? I put the shears in the sheath and there was a ton of extra space. The dive shop guy seems to think that OMS is making the sheath bigger these days. Also, the velcro seems pretty weak. Does anyone use this? Does it work well? Thanks in advance!

Well you can use a new type of line cutter that Abyss dive systems just started selling.. You need to contact them since its not online with a picture but its really really nice.. They also sell cutting shears as well as OMS and Dive-rite... I would use a product called Corro-stop from OMS or Trident sells a closely relative product for reducing the chance of rust on your metal parts.. The stuff works really well..

I have had to use the line cutters a few times when diving on wrecks and I would not dive without one.. Also carry shears for cutting cables and think anyone diving wrecks should carry both atleast...

Just my 2 thoughts
Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom