Cutting Through Wreck (wood) - How?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No depth charges, solar powered lazers focused through a 200kt diamond or even small nuclear detonations? Even the surface air powered tools seem like a bit of overkill considering the object and the goal. That wood may be so waterlogged that you could bore a hole in it with a dive knife. In any case it isn't Fort Knox and Rick isn't Goldfinger. At least I don't think he is...
PM sent :wink:

Joe

Rick Inman:
I found 2 box cars from a train wreck (1919) in about 110' of water (my post about it, HERE). The first car looks like a side loader that is mostly buried and closed. The second car is a top loader, is open and is easy to swim through.

It has been suggested to me that I find a way to cut into the top of the first car to see what's inside. So I have 2 questions:

#1. Not saying I'm going to do it, but, hypothetically, what is the best way to cut through the water-logged wood at 110'?

#2. (This is really just a troll :eyebrow: ) Is it ethical to cut a hole into this historical dive artifact?
at 110 feet you have little time to get this thing open . and when you do the viz will be crap . so make it two dives with about two hour surface interval.

first dive: use a ten ton come along (wench) and rip the door off.

let the silt settle during the surface interval

second dive : enter the overhead with a line and have your lights blazing, take photos so when you come back for artifacts you know how much lift you'll need.

you didn't hear this from me. LOL

helium in the mix will help with both the narcosis *and* the breathing difficulty and CO2 buildup and retention...

lamont:
helium in the mix will help with both the narcosis *and* the breathing difficulty and CO2 buildup and retention...
yeah that's true , but sense most divers try and keep the N2 level at around 100 feet there's really no need to worry about adding H2 to the mix, the CO2 buildup needs to be delt with.

the real hazard comes from the recovery of heavy objects. I think you should think about a team recovery using a controlled ascent. Good luck with that

nova:
yeah that's true , but sense most divers try and keep the N2 level at around 100 feet there's really no need to worry about adding H2 to the mix, the CO2 buildup needs to be delt with.

i've been very uncomfortably narc'd when i've been at 100 fsw, blown a dive plan and gotten stressed. i'd use 30/30 or richer (helium) mixture to try to remove that and the perceputal narrowing which accompanies it if I was planning on a highly stressful dive.

also, He makes the gas less viscous at depth and makes regs breathe easier, which helps with CO2 retention.

the real hazard comes from the recovery of heavy objects. I think you should think about a team recovery using a controlled ascent. Good luck with that

3 man teams would make a lot of sense.

#2. (This is really just a troll ) Is it ethical to cut a hole into this historical dive artifact? Do not disturb this boxcar. It could be the final resting place of a hobo.

its a box car. its wood sounds like theres no real historical value here other than it happened.
its not like its a german u boat that went down with all hands,
its wood its gonna rot away and be gone forever so if you can get something outa it go for it cut away.
just because its on the bottome dont mean ya have to tip toe around it
the only other reason i could see for not disturbing a wreck is if you know theres nothing there worth damaging it and its a popular site and you would be destroying a cool dive site for others..
neither seem to be the case here.
rock on!

Bob3:
A +10kpsi hydro lance (water blaster) will make short work of the wood, though stuffing det cord into the cracks between planks is always fun. :wink:

I had a job surveying navy tenders for upgrades and modifications. We took suggestions from the crew using the various shops, on how their shops could be improved and modified. One of the sailors said that the boiler tube cleaner (10kpsi H2O) should have a safety label on it, he then proceeded to slice a 4x4 like butter. Yep, definitely needs a warning on it. They are impressive!

I am a commercial Diver as well as a recreational diver. We have done something along the same lines of this in the past on some conex boxes in a lake. But what we use are BROCO underwater cutting Rods. I have done some burning on a couple of projects down around 210'. It can be done and it doesnt take alot of time to do it either. The rods burn about 10,000 degrees so it is like cutting through butter. So again I agree with the others that if you are going to do something with this then to find an alternate route. If not find someone with the capabilites and the training to go forward to attack this job, by cutting a hole in the top. Keep in touch if you have any other questions

Back
Top Bottom