Cutting tool comparison test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes there is a large knife on my leg, this is a line cutter I use on some reefs or wrecks, and has the blade with pin to pull out. but I used the line cutter part lately to retrieve salmon lures from the seafloor.

Does an arms-length keeper from the cutter to a carabiner on your vest make sense, or would that just get in the way?

I am not a fan of carabiners for tools because they are harder to get off a D-ring by feel than a bolt or trigger snap. It depends on how you are diving. Having stuff dangling on your front is a bummer if you are bellying up over the gunnels of a small boat or inflatable. I tend to reserve a Z or hook knife for entanglement and use a larger fixed blade more often for general cutting, prying, and poking. Everybody develops preferences as their diving evolves.

I still have a big heavy 1970s era knife that puts Mike Nelson to shame for Pacific rock scallops or scraping growth off wrecks while hunting brass. I use a push knife for spearfishing because it works well for braining fish and handling line.

The thing that makes monofilament fishing line so bad is it is very difficult for a diver to see and will wrap around everything imaginable. The knots and wraps are very difficult to untie, especially with gloves, and the worst ones are always behind you out of sight… which is probably one of the corollaries to the Peter Principal. Oh, and nobody ever gets tangled until they are low on air! :wink:

Excellent bkp how is yours laynard.
It comes with a sheath that slips over 2" webbing. The cutter slides into the sheath, and the handle is actually velcroed which folds down over the sheath. Can't even tell it's there...

One word: Trilobite…

The Tribolite would probably be my second choice for an underwater Z-knife. Holding it is less comfortable and the opposing double blades last longer and cut more easily than single blade Zs. Unlike most single blade Zs, the Trilobite does have a replaceable blade which is a big step up.

As soon as I saw the topic I knew the DIR folks would chime in with the walmart specials. Whatever, I like titanium simply because it is so easy to care for. Disclaimer, I only dive in nice warm tropical water and have had the good fortune never to get entangled (knock on wood). The only time I have ever used my knife (3 inch blunt tip blade with a sheath that attaches to my BCD) is to help me "crawl" up a sandy slope against a very strong current. Of course my diving is under the "take only pictures, leave only bubbles" methodology so I don't need the knife as a working tool. I also have a pair of shears in my pocket and I'm gonna order one of those BKP talked about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom