Cylinder Specifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone recommend a good place to get some solid cylinder specifications? It seems that the specs vary wildly depending on where you look.

For example: I am looking to figure out the buoyancy characteristics of my Faber LP-50 cylinders.

Faber LP-50 Cylinder, Grey says they are +1.24lbs when empty.

http://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/se...ction/information/CYLINDER SPECIFICATIONS.pdf shows -1.5lbs when empty.

Trying to find a place to get realistic buoyancy characteristics so I can make an educated decision about what steel tanks I want to get.

Thanks in advance!

Blue Steel Scuba - Cylinder Specs

manufacturer is always best
they are +1.24 without valve, in salt water. Since Fabers are the only new tanks available right now, you are best to use their chart for comparison purposes. If you have the lp50's, hook them up to a luggage scale when they're full and you'll have their buoyancy with a valve, in fresh water, and you can use that to compare it to other tanks. Plus or minus a pound isn't going to make much of a difference, and with the exception of some particular bricks of tanks, most of them are going to be close enough that you'll make a choice based on other factors. Galvanized vs. non, availability of high pressure fills, weight advantage of narrower diameter tanks, etc etc

Blue Steel Scuba - Cylinder Specs

manufacturer is always best
they are +1.24 without valve, in salt water. Since Fabers are the only new tanks available right now, you are best to use their chart for comparison purposes. If you have the lp50's, hook them up to a luggage scale when they're full and you'll have their buoyancy with a valve, in fresh water, and you can use that to compare it to other tanks. Plus or minus a pound isn't going to make much of a difference, and with the exception of some particular bricks of tanks, most of them are going to be close enough that you'll make a choice based on other factors. Galvanized vs. non, availability of high pressure fills, weight advantage of narrower diameter tanks, etc etc

Thank you. Main thing I am looking for is a way to drop some weight when doing sidemount dives, open water, in my drysuit. Currently using Luxfer AL80s. So roughly 8lbs ballast just to off-set worst case scenario tank buoyancy.

Realistically, the LP-50 with a valve should be close to neutral in salt and a little negative in fresh? So theoretically I could drop 8 lbs?

Gas capacity aside, switching from the LP-50s to a pair of say HP-100 Fabers would only let me drop maybe another 4 lbs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom