Cylinders in cars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that happened it wouldn't make any difference how or if you had your tanks restrained. Had i said that i had mine strapped in the trunk you would show a rear end collision. If you yad a solution/recommendation could it stand up to the example you posted?

I think some of you are missing the point completely... You take the time to learn, and practice safe diving, but you simply put your tanks, or weights in the back seat? You are risking your life, and others. In the event of a roll-over something simple as a 5 lead weight can kill you. A tank sitting at 3000 psi becomes a missile if the valve is broken off. If you aren't securing your s**t you pose a threat to your self and to people around you.

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 01:13 AM ----------

let me know how that works out if this happens, and it was caused from a blow out, not careless driving:
[video=youtube_share;HX6qLnnufTM]http://youtu.be/HX6qLnnufTM[/video]

While I agree that weight distribution isn't critically effected by the position of 6 tanks in a car that size, I really like your idea and would love to see it work fully. I'll be looking around for the picture, but there's a picture of a rebreather rack that slides towards the rear to allow for an easier time gearing up. It attaches in the trunk of an SUV, and it has a "drawer" type slide out. 6 tanks will probably be too heavy for a purely cantilever design like that, but wheels along the front lip might make that a viable option. Mount a rack where the seats go, and then maybe a cotter pin or two for the top half to slide towards the tail gate. Easier loading, AND it would look sexy....but that WOULD add to the complexity and cost.

One thing you might consider to all of this is a "front" firewall. You were talking about v-shaped grooves to keep the tanks in place....I would add a "firewall" between the tails/valves and the front seats.

My "firewall" is tank placement. Always point the valves toward the front of the car. This way if they break the tank is propelled thru the back of the car making it SEP (someone eles problem).

I just meant a solid plate between you and your tanks. If you place your valves away from you, your tanks can rocket towards you. If you put your valves toward you, they become projectiles when the tank fires them off. Either way, I don't want to be on the receiving end of them.

Not that that happens often, if ever.

If that happened it wouldn't make any difference how or if you had your tanks restrained. Had i said that i had mine strapped in the trunk you would show a rear end collision. If you yad a solution/recommendation could it stand up to the example you posted?

Yes, securing your tanks would go a long way in making a difference especially compared to not securing at all. Putting them in the back seat floor (not that I haven't done it or regularly do it) is not a good way to secure scuba tanks. I would not worry about which way the valves are facing, way more important is have them secured so they don't come loose in an accident.

I transport my LP-95s in a pickup and they are NOT adequately secured. I am researching ideas for a Christmas break project.

Yes, securing your tanks would go a long way in making a difference especially compared to not securing at all. Putting them in the back seat floor (not that I haven't done it or regularly do it) is not a good way to secure scuba tanks. I would not worry about which way the valves are facing, way more important is have them secured so they don't come loose in an accident.

I transport my LP-95s in a pickup and they are NOT adequately secured. I am researching ideas for a Christmas break project.

Well I put them in the back seat floor. I don't know what else to do. But what's wrong by putting them behind the passenger/driver seats on the floor? They seems to be pretty stable and if in the remote possibility that a valve explodes everything goes to hell no matter what. Anyway I am trying to find an alternative. I have a Ford Escape. It's hard to believe that despite the fact that the industry pomps out tons of scuba gadgets and toys nobody has ever thought to figure out a solution for transporting tanks that's safe and applicable to all sorts of vehicles?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom