Cylinders in cars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, it seems most everyone has missed the main point of my post: I'm concerned with transporting my cylinders in a way that reduces the negative effects on handling caused by weight too far back, and I'm concerned about securing the cylinders to survive a collision. It seems to me that most people don't put a very high priority on these things when placing their cylinders in their cars; they're more concerned with convenience and ease of loading. I'm comfortable sacrificing some convenience to get a safer car.

Any thoughts on these topics?

Ford does not publish the weight distribution ratio but 90% it is front heavy anyways. So putting some weight on the back could possibly make handling even better. If you transport 6 cylinders you are talking about 200lb which is a weight of one person.
Keep also in mind that Escape is a crossover that is built on a car platform. Due to all the bulky stuff and a lot of extra metal they usually have less load capacity than the corresponding car that they share the platform with. I will not be surprised if you civic has a higher load capacity than the Escape.

So the steel frame might be not a good option as it would be heavy.

Install a frame hitch and a hitch plat form. Put tanks horizontally on the platform and secure with straps. This set up usually has a 500 lb capacity and easy set up for 6 tanks. I'd recommend using some carpet scraps to for padding.

Install a frame hitch and a hitch plat form. Put tanks horizontally on the platform and secure with straps. This set up usually has a 500 lb capacity and easy set up for 6 tanks. I'd recommend using some carpet scraps to for padding.

He has a car platform not a truck the load capacity of the whole car is probably 1.5 times of that value you wrote. The hitches max load on those is usually no more than 150lb

I agree with your thought process... Any not secured in a car can kill. I've seen a guy killed by a tool box after a car vs pole head on collision, which he would have otherwise probably walked away from. Furthermore I've seen what a gallon jug of milk will do to a baby in a car seat of which I won't go into detail. Storage solutions starts at post 18.

Pajero iO build; Okinawa Express - Expedition Portal

Welcome to Scubaboard.

It seems to me tht the idea of transporting tanks is that they are secured to prevent movement. Mine lay crossways on the floor behind the drivers seat. they cant move forward or aft. the center driveshaft bump prevents left to right motion. seat belts are not going to prove usefull in a collision, the only restraint they have is for inertial shifting from normal driving. i know of no other way, other than bolt down special racks or a vehicle made for moving tanks. I think the expectation of some is too high of standard. What you cant provide in "proper securing" you compensate for by your driving behavior.as far as a tank facing forward or aft and hitting the driver is a moot thing. I would need more info regarding the difference in injuries caused by a 50# tank hitting the driver at 30 mph from valve forward or aft brfore I could render more of an opinion on that aspect. I suspect when all is done the difference if moot. I see it a a car will do less damage than a semi so i would rather stand on the interstate and be hit by a car rather than a semi.

However, it seems most everyone has missed the main point of my post: I'm concerned with transporting my cylinders in a way that reduces the negative effects on handling caused by weight too far back, and I'm concerned about securing the cylinders to survive a collision. It seems to me that most people don't put a very high priority on these things when placing their cylinders in their cars; they're more concerned with convenience and ease of loading. I'm comfortable sacrificing some convenience to get a safer car.
Any thoughts on these topics?

My thoughts are that the weight is negligible and that by adding a specialized steel frame you're going to do more to negatively impact handling and ride quality than just by using the tanks themselves. If you want to safely secure the tanks, look for some sort of tie down points (many vehicles already have these) and use one of the simple PVC or Pool Noodle ideas to prevent rolling then use the tie down points to secure them with ratchet straps.

Also, make sure the valve of the tank faces the back of the car. Two reasons, firstly, easier to grab this way. Secondly, the valve does not become a projectile if you are in an accident. A friend who was hit from behind had a tank slide forward, straight thru the back of the rear seat and hit the passenger in the back. Luckily, no real damage to the diver. If the tank had been pointing to the back, it is unlikely to have even been felt.

The down side to this is now you have a tank that's a possible projectile if the valve somehow gets knocked off. An alternate method would be to put the tanks perpendicular to the center line of the car.

Firstly, don't worry about the weight of cylinders in a car. Yes, cylinders are heavy to pick up but they are peanuts compared to the weight of a human sitting in the back seat.

Secondly, have a look under the carpet or liner in the boot (trunk) you may well find that there are tie-down rings already installed or there are clear locations for them to be installed. Get the rings put in if need be and simply use ratchet straps to hold everything down.

While I agree that weight distribution isn't critically effected by the position of 6 tanks in a car that size, I really like your idea and would love to see it work fully. I'll be looking around for the picture, but there's a picture of a rebreather rack that slides towards the rear to allow for an easier time gearing up. It attaches in the trunk of an SUV, and it has a "drawer" type slide out. 6 tanks will probably be too heavy for a purely cantilever design like that, but wheels along the front lip might make that a viable option. Mount a rack where the seats go, and then maybe a cotter pin or two for the top half to slide towards the tail gate. Easier loading, AND it would look sexy....but that WOULD add to the complexity and cost.

One thing you might consider to all of this is a "front" firewall. You were talking about v-shaped grooves to keep the tanks in place....I would add a "firewall" between the tails/valves and the front seats.

I think some of you are missing the point completely... You take the time to learn, and practice safe diving, but you simply put your tanks, or weights in the back seat? You are risking your life, and others. In the event of a roll-over something simple as a 5 lead weight can kill you. A tank sitting at 3000 psi becomes a missile if the valve is broken off. If you aren't securing your s**t you pose a threat to your self and to people around you.

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 01:13 AM ----------

It seems to me tht the idea of transporting tanks is that they are secured to prevent movement. Mine lay crossways on the floor behind the drivers seat. they cant move forward or aft. the center driveshaft bump prevents left to right motion... What you cant provide in "proper securing" you compensate for by your driving behavior...

let me know how that works out if this happens, and it was caused from a blow out, not careless driving:
[video=youtube_share;HX6qLnnufTM]http://youtu.be/HX6qLnnufTM[/video]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom