Cypress Springs Dive Report 5-7-6 & ect.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After a great dive at the Destin Jetties with several other ScubaBoard members, I camped at Vortex for the night before diving Cypress on 5/7. Camping at Vortex Sat night included arriving at 10PM to the sounds of a fight in progress, listening to the campsite over scream and cry(apparently one of them got cut during the fight?!), gleefully watching the cops come and arrest some of my 'neighbors', and chugging a beer or three to numb my senses enough to sleep through the typical Vortex shinanigans.

kchFLA met me at Vortex and she got a tank filled before we headed to the boatlaunch in Vernon. We arrived at Cypress and were happy to see the site deserted. We stayed in OW which kept our max depth fairly shallow(25') and stayed under for a good hour according to kchFLA's watch. Some locals canoed in during the dive and they floated on the surface watching us below. We saw the typical life in the spring including bass, bream, and some large slider turtles.

We talked to the locals during our SI about other springs in the area for about 30min before jumping back in the water for a second dive with similar depths lasting ~30min. Took alot of pictures and had a good fun dive in one of the clearest, most colorfull springs in Florida. We got back to the boatlaunch just in time for a bit of rain, but luckily it didn't last long.

The ride home was 'fun'. Caught a nasty thunderstorm on the interstate that was bad enough for me to pull over. The hail was atleast nickel size and there were alot of lightning strikes and strong winds during my little interstate wait. My driverside window doesn't roll up by the way :p Hail kept bouncing off my door and between my back and the seat - cold!

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album123

HalfnHalf.jpg

Glad you had a good dive.
Great over/under shot!!!!!!

Matt that is a great shot man! I really thik there is something special about Cypress its like High Def water!

I think next time I wont meter for below water and underexpose below slightly and overexpose above the water slightly. Then post process the same RAW picture twice and layer them next time.

That or get one of those split polarizers for my housing, which probably wouldn't get much use...

WaterDawg:
Matt that is a great shot man! I really thik there is something special about Cypress its like High Def water!

So when do you want to go back? Care to degrade yourself to some OW and cavern action? LOL :wink:

Wow! What a picture!!! Great job!

WOw.... great pic of above/below of kchFLA.

She should get that one printed and framed for her office.

Good to see that you weren't wouned at the "Jerry Springer Festival" at Vortex. I've heard that some of their "customers" (who aren't divers) get a little wild partying. Next time there, note that we need to take our Kevlar vests.

Ignore them and don't move or speak when they are around and they seem not to see you :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom