D-180 and the Magnet??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapauly

Contributor
Reaction score
HI All,
A bit confused here in the UK. So far I've been using my 5050 with no strobe and in P mode with the camera set to macro. Now I'm going to be using it with all my new toys ie, the D-180. Reading thru the manual (thank you inon USA), am I right in thinking that if I leave the camera set to macro and use it in A mode, then I set the internal flash to SLAVE and install the magnet in the strobe. Then set the strobe to FULL and dial in the apature value?????? Hope that makes sense.

If I were to use the camera in P mode the I would set the strobe on AUTO and the internal strobe to master. Then the strobe takes its best guess.

I'm so looking forward to getting this lot in the pool and at the same time sooooooo scared lol

Scubapauly

Scubapauly:
Reading thru the manual (thank you inon USA), am I right in thinking that if I leave the camera set to macro and use it in A mode, then I set the internal flash to SLAVE and install the magnet in the strobe. Then set the strobe to FULL and dial in the apature value?????? Hope that makes sense.

Almost correct, Scubapauly.
  • With the C5050 in A (or M) set the flash mode to Slave, Level 1
  • Force the C5050's flash on (lightning in A, Slow in M )
  • Install the magnet in the D-180 to turn the Advance Cancel Circuit OFF
  • Set the D-180 dial to 'Auto'
  • Dial the f-stop value of your camera on D-180s Aperture Value dial
Any reason why you want to use A instead of M? In M you can control both the Aperture and Shutter speed. Start with a shutter speed like 1/125.
Scubapauly:
If I were to use the camera in P mode the I would set the strobe on AUTO and the internal strobe to master. Then the strobe takes its best guess.
  • In P mode set the C5050s flash to Int+Ext
  • Force the C5050's flash on (lightning symbol)
  • Remove the magnet from the D-180 to turn the Advance Cancel Circuit ON
  • Set the D-180 dial to 'Auto'
  • Dial the f-stop value of your camera on D-180s Aperture Value dial
With the D-180 in 'Auto' mode it takes 'it's best guess' regardless of your camera's shooting mode (P, A, S or M).
If you want to control the output of the D-180 manually then select Full, M-2 etc according to how bright you want it to be. In this case the strobe's Aperture Value dial becomes redundant.

ReyeR...do you use AUTO or FULL mode?

Right thanks for the tips. Which in general, is the preferred way of operating the strobe? Witht the circuit on or off?

Scubapauly

Pauly...I'm really new to the D-180 but I was told to use it with the 5050 with the circuit OFF...use the magnet.

Scubapauly:
Right thanks for the tips. Which in general, is the preferred way of operating the strobe? Witht the circuit on or off?
Scubapauly

Use it with the magnet only if you have a mode that doesn't use pre-flash. So the preferred way is usually with magnet as my camera A70 and 5050 also, do not use preflash in manual mode.
So shoot manual, with magnet in, it is better that way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom