D300 w/18-200VR cheap & reputable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does a 90 day no questions asked return policy on electronics help with the slight difference due to sales tax? I wish they still had the unltd. return policy, but it must have cost them on the computers and electronics, because they recently changed it. Last time I purchased from one of the reputable internet camera outlets, the return policy was 10 days, in original packaging-unopened.

1 Way Photo Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings
1 Way Photo Consumer Complaints
Again, consider the return policy, reputation, and the service. I'm not saying everyone should buy from Costco, but I've bought from the major camera outfits online, such as Adorama, Helix, B & H, etc. and generally, the return policy is within 10 days of shipping, in the original packaging, in the box, with the receipt. I've rolled a non-working product with no box, packaging or receipt into Costco after several months of use. The transaction took 30 seconds. They said, "Why are you returning it? Does it work? Here's your money." If the price is close, how do you beat that? They don't carry all products, and they have changed their return policy on electronics to 90 days. I have no problem with you buying the same product online from someone for less, but make sure of what your getting and what the intangible costs are, as Chuck said earlier. BTW, I bought my camera and lens at Backscatter as well (or my wife did-it was a present) at full price. They had it in the store, and we wanted it now. They've also treated us well before, and I dive across the street from their shop every weekend.

Hi Larry:

How do you like the 300? Any issues? I am starting to get serious about purchasing one.

Also, the only places I purchase camera gear from are a local retailer I have used for years and Reef Photo for diving specific items. The cost is a bit higher, but the service, support, and technical help is well worth it for me.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Larry:

How do you like the 300? Any issues? I am starting to get serious about purchasing one.

Also, the only places I purchase camera gear from are a local retailer I have used for years and Reef Photo for diving specific items. The cost is a bit higher, but the service, support, and technical help is well worth it for me.

Cheers,

Dan

I don't have a big point of comparison, as my previous digital cameras were a really early upper end Sony 2.1mp DSC f55, which took terrific pictures for what it was. I currently use my SP-350 under water. For two years it was my topside camera as well. My complaint with both was lack of speed and zoom capabilities and relatively slow focus.

The D300 shoots like a machine gun. Even in RAW, with std. battery and a max JPEG back-up it will fire off a few shots per second. In JPEG of any size, the problem is it shoots so fast that I end up having to cull 1500 pictures when I get home after a 3 day excursion. My biggest complaint with shooting a DSLR in general is that focus and light sensitivity are so dependent on the lens, and the cheapest lens costs more than my p & s did. Also, at low ISO's, my little Olympus seems to gather light a bit better. Finally, the smaller lens on the P & S in general is more versatile. The focal range is wider at pretty much all f-stops.

On the other hand, the D300 has an incredibly wide range of lenses available if you can afford them. The dynamic range adjustment is great. The 18-200VR is a versatile lens, but not fabulous. It has really nice contrast and given the ability to fire off 6 shots a second, you can handhold it and make sure you get one sharp shot, but it isn't as sharp as it could be at the long end. Wish I could afford the 80-400VR. If you can pop for the $1400, I'd get that instead of the 18-200 and then get a narrower but sharper lens to do the wide end. Battery life is excellent. Topside, I've gone 3 weeks with about 1500 pictures without changing the battery, and I tend to leave the camera on. The menu is excellent, though I really haven't figured out how to program my personal settings in like the MyMode on my Olympus. I've been too lazy to sit down and read the whole advanced instruction book. Maybe I'll pick up one of those video instruction manuals now that the camera's been out for a while and everyone should have them. I love the versatility. One of my favorite set-ups has been with my e-bay $100 Tokina 400 f5.6 prime manual focus lens. The D300 has settings for non CPU lenses. All you have to do is set for the lens and the camera will meter it in aperture mode. I took a bunch of pictures with it at the Infineon superbike race last month, and though the contrast of the lens could be better, I had no problem keeping focused. I haven't used the live view a lot because the view finder is very nice (and adjustable for your eyes) but I found it very useful for the overhead shots and such that it is designed for, and it's quite easy to use. I do miss the ability to focus on the screen that I had on the p & s, but you can see the focus better in the viewfinder anyway. Maybe if I had 30 year old eyes instead of 55, it wouldn't be a problem. Hope that helps. If I didn't answer your question adequately, feel free to delve further.

Thanks for the response. Looks like I will be up grading my D70s in the next few weeks. Fortunately I have Nikon lenses. It is just the new housing!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom