D7000 macro video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meyr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings videographers and divers alike.

I just want to share a video shot on a muck dive taken at Kapas Island, Terengganu, Malaysia.
I posted this video in Nikon Niche subforum before. This forum seems to be the right one.
This is my first dive with a dslr after an upgrade from a p&s.
First of all, sorry for the shaky footage.
No tripod were used.

Im using a 60mm D housed in an ikelite housing.
On this particular video, i use AF. You can see there's a bit of focus hunting.
But on later dives, i started to use MF with the focus gear given and
it made a lot difference. Perfect for macros.
Been loving it ever since.

So do watch it (in HD would be nice) and any c&c would be most welcome.

Cheers

[video=youtube;54renhWahUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54renhWahUM[/video]

Nice, thanks for posting the vid. Looked great on both my iPad and streamed to my TV. :cool2:

Been thinking of upgrading from a P&S for underwater work, and really like the D7000 on dry land. What housing are you using?

Nice, thanks for posting the vid. Looked great on both my iPad and streamed to my TV. :cool2:

Been thinking of upgrading from a P&S for underwater work, and really like the D7000 on dry land. What housing are you using?

Welcome John,glad u liked it.
I just upgrade from a p&s myself. the XZ1 to be exact.
It made all the difference. But if there is one warning i can give is the size of it.
I housed my d7000 in ikelite. So that made it even heavier and bulkier.
But i cant really complaint since im on a budget when i bought this.

Very nice.. I use an Aquatica D7000 setup, but have generally avoided video. This is impressive!

I'm just curious about how you edited it. The one fun thing I shot was a sea turtle eating and a 3 minute video generated a pretty ginormous file. I use a Macbook, but I don't really know if there's something there for editing...

Nice little clip~

Very nice.. I use an Aquatica D7000 setup, but have generally avoided video. This is impressive!

I'm just curious about how you edited it. The one fun thing I shot was a sea turtle eating and a 3 minute video generated a pretty ginormous file. I use a Macbook, but I don't really know if there's something there for editing...

Nice little clip~

Hi, thanx for watching. The reason is shoot video is simply because i dun have strobes.
I have lights instead. It was edited using Vegas Pro.
Very tedious indeed. big files, lots of patience.

Nice shoots and creatures!

Thank you :D

Big effort but some clips shot with advanced point and shoot are not far off
I have been considering micro 4/3 and DSLR for video for a while and am not convinced at all the lack of flexibility with one type of lens per dive is worth the extra cost and effort
In video you do wide and super close in the same dive and you can't do this with a DSLR
I find videos at 60-100 same as looking at stills
I think you should get some strobes and use the camera for what is best at

I think you should get some strobes and use the camera for what is best at

I think you might be surprised at how many pros are shooting videos on DSLRs. There's really no reason to use a dedicated video system.

I was involved in shooting Jill Heinerth's "We Are Water" doc, and it was all shot on a Canon DSLR, in an Aquatica housing. She had an external monitor and a couple of lights that were bright enough that I was concerned she was going to set our wooden shipwrecks on fire. I don't think you'd find much to complain about with the quality.

It ain't your Daddy's DSLR any more! :wink:

Quality is totally fine with DSLR wasn't suggesting anything different
However like any interchangeable lens camera you have restrictions on what you can shoot on a dive
Frankly having 3 minutes just of small macro critters is somewhat boring true you can put together various clips shots with different lenses but that is expensive requires effort and it is clear that the shots belong to different dives
This may suit a pro but not your average holiday diver that has limited opportunities for shots

Nice work and thanks for posting.

I personally shoot with a dslr and I think it is great. The quality can't be matched, unless you go RED. What intercepter121 says about flexibility is true. It really depends on how good you want the video. Even though, I consider myself a vacation shooter, I want my video to be the best it can be, and I am willing to miss out on the rare instance that my lens might be wrong. I want to be able to put my stuff in a competition, of if I am lucky enough to sell some of the footage to pay for that next trip!

For example....if you go to Lembeh.....99% of the time! you are going to want the macro lens....if a whale shark happens to swim by???oh we'll.. Enjoy the site. But if you toto the Galapagos, you obviously are going to dive with a wide angle. Most dives I have found, usually have a purpose, and so I select the lens accordingly. Certainly asking the guide to help works great too. It has been rare that I regret it. Of course, I started with dslr, so I don't know anything different. But if you ask me it actually helps me shoot video the way it should be done., or at least the way I think it should be done. The zooming aspect of video cameras, generally doesn't look good IMO.

I generally shoot with a fisheye, or the 100mm macro. So far my videos have had pretty good reception among some of the best in the industry. I find the haters on dslr are gonna hate. It isn't right for everyone, nor is a dedicate video right for everyone. Personally I am hoping for an affordable 4k dslr to reach the market! And I don't take photos for the most part...

Again, nice job. Keeping shooting and posting!
Dustin

Back
Top Bottom