D9 and D9X Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
I was told that these drysuits are a tropical water drysuit. Can you give me a temperature range this suit can handle? Or is the temp solely based on what you are wearing underneath.

I dive in Southern California all year round, but will be moving to Massachusetts in the near future, can I use one of these drysuits in either location?

Thanks
J

You will need undergarment with these suits as they do not provide any thermal protection by themselves. So in a sense they are good for tropical use.

Yep, it's determined by your undergarments. My gf has the D9...she has used it in water as cold as 50 and as warm as 74 or so.

They are not a very rugged suit, and aren't designed to be. If you are going to be doing a bunch of wreck diving and such, a more durable suit like the D7 or something is a better choice.

So the d9x qith the warmtec undergarmets should be okay for low 50 degree water?

I am a DM and will use it multible times a week but will not be cave diving or penetrating wrecks with it. Will this suit hold up with tons and tons of dives?

I only ask cause it is right in my budget. The d7 is slightly out of budget.

The warmth with those dual layer undergarments would probably be ok, but you may want to add a vest with it.

I think for working DM, a D9 may be a bit thin...It's super light-weight, which is a benefit, but I would probably look for something a bit stronger.

Shameless plug: if you are an XL I have a D7 ISS Cordura drysuit for sale, was new in spring 2015

I am a DM and will use it multible times a week but will not be cave diving or penetrating wrecks with it. Will this suit hold up with tons and tons of dives?
I have seen en felt it in the shop. It feels very light and thin to me. Not sure if it will stand that kind of (ab)use. I have a Santi E-Lite. It feels much stronger and more resistant. But I have no real experience as far as the D9 is concerned I must admit.

Yes you are exactly right. The drysuit is merely a shell & your temp rating is based on the undergarment you are wearing. The D9 was first advertised as a tropical dive suit because of its travel friendly feature, weighing less than 5 lbs. It is a light duty drysuit that can be worn in all conditions. Show caution when diving the ship wrecks in Massachusetts! :wink:

Is the D9X a litle bit stronger than the D9? I'am looking for a travel/backup suit that's lighter than my Santi, but is somewhat stonger than the D9. The D9X seems a really nice suit.

I saw the D9x at DEMA it does appear to be a bit more sturdy than its lighter predecessor. Added pockets are a big bonus too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom