D90 lens suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another idea especially when shooting in low light is to use a Focus light which turns off when the strobe fires. I find it very helpful in low light conditions like in wrecks or caves as the strobe modeling lights just dont cut it. I have my little focusing light tied off to my housing arm and simply point it at the subject and fire. Works really well.

Regards Mark

I just bought my D90 rig, the overwhelming feedback I received was going with the Tokina 10-17 and the Nikon 60mm micro G ED. My biggest decision was the 60mm or the 105mm, I was told the 60 is more versatile. Maybe down the road I'll get the 105mm. the Tokina, from everything I read, was a no brainer.

I also am a D90 owner. Ikelite just announced the DS-161 this month. It's close to the same price as the DS-160 and also has a mode for shooing video as well. I know the D90 is not a video camera per se, but I am a photography geek and shooting video with my "still" rig gives me one more thing to play with underwater. Sometimes I see something and wish that you had video mode for 2 miinutes on that dive! As soon as I see some video shot with it, I may buy a pair of them- especially given the close pricing to the 160. They are going to be shipping first week in December. Something to think about!

Sideways hit it right on. for the D90, I set up our customers with the Tokina 10-17 for wide angle, and the Nikon 60mm to start. The 105 is a great lens, but a bit more difficult to shoot, and is more limited in subjects.

The 105 is a great lens, but a bit more difficult to shoot, and is more limited in subjects.

But some of those subjects can be real winners. Witness:
http://www.ncups.org/sea/SEA2009/california/index.html
My GF, Adm. Linda, took that with a 105 on a D40. I saw the
ling with his mouth open way back in a crack, and figured some
sort of cleaning behavior was going on. I had a 50mm on a
fullframe sensor (Nikonos RS (film)) and knew I couldn't get get
the shot because he was so far away, so I pointed him out to
Adm. Linda, and got out of the way. She's like to win a tropical
trip for that shot which got 1st place in the Underwater California
category of the Northern California Underwater Photographic
Society's SEA 2009 International Photo Competition.

The 105 would be cool for shooting shy subjects (say, clownfish)

That said, she's mostly shooting the 60 mm these days. When
she got the housing, the only AF-S macro was the 105, and the
D40 requires an AF-S lens to AF. And if I were to only have one,
it would be the 60 mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom