Dahap Blue Hole, the cemetery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a liveaboard in Turks and Caicos, where, depending on how the boat was swinging on the mooring, you might have been doing a giant stride into 4000' or so of water. At one point we swam away from the wall and into the blue--a little disorienting. I thought I was level in the water until I looked at the angle of my compass in the housing.

The round the world swim to Egypt would have sucked too :wink:

Wrong blue hole Ron.

Done it deep a bunch a times. Very easy technical dive.

I did that dive just a couple weeks ago ... went down and through the arch, to a max depth of 211 fsw. But I was diving two main tanks with 18/45 trimix, two deco bottles (EAN50 and O2), and had a scooter. If you're going to do that dive, it's best to be prepared to do it properly.

There are some nice recreational dives around Dahab. The problem, as I see it, is that like the other famous Blue Hole, it's promoted as a "signature" dive that way too many people dive without proper equipment, training, or experience. Whenever that happens, you're going to end up with some fatalities. Darwin seeks out such places to collect his due ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No, just a comment on diving in locations with no bottom. I'm aware of where the Blue Holes are.

Dahab blue hole has a bottom though.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2014 at 07:16 PM ----------

I did that dive just a couple weeks ago ... went down and through the arch, to a max depth of 211 fsw. But I was diving two main tanks with 18/45 trimix, two deco bottles (EAN50 and O2), and had a scooter. If you're going to do that dive, it's best to be prepared to do it properly.

There are some nice recreational dives around Dahab. The problem, as I see it, is that like the other famous Blue Hole, it's promoted as a "signature" dive that way too many people dive without proper equipment, training, or experience. Whenever that happens, you're going to end up with some fatalities. Darwin seeks out such places to collect his due ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Saw some of your LoB pics. Which dahab sites did they take you to?

There was a series of TV programmes a while back presented by Monty Halls. For those who don't know of him, he is an ex Royal Marine who became a marine biologist and has presented many programmes on the subject. The first of his last series was called 'Monty Halls and the Divers' Graveyard'. The programme was about the blue hole in Dahab and a lot of it was sensationalist b*ll*cks.

The programme provoked a lot of comment on a British dive forum, which was mostly highly critical. I have not visited the Blue Hole and if I'm honest, it's not really on my list (it lacks rusty bits and big guns), but from what I know, it is a benign sheltered body of warm blue water and diving it should be a doddle for any qualified diver. One of the issues is there is a deep arch that many people want to swim through - the trouble is it's at 53 metres and you get idiots trying to do it on a single cylinder. Anybody with the ability to control their buoyancy and stick to a safe depth (this should be every single qualified diver) can execute a dive in the blue hole in a safe manner.

One of the comments Monty Halls made was along the lines of 'at these depths, their 'underwater life jackets' no longer work. When the next issue of 'Diver' magazine was published, there was an article on the subject of internet trolls, which was clearly inspired by the comments posted on the dive forum. The article made me cringe - it was basically Monty throwing his toys out of the pram and daring people to repeat their comments to his face at the dive show.

Saw some of your LoB pics. Which dahab sites did they take you to?

Besides the Blue Hole we did Ras Abu Galoum, Dahab Canyon and Thomas Canyon ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I will say that those that tried to go thru that arc and end deep down, probably had not been experiencing deep dives, did not get the facts right of the dive site, didn't know their own air management capability, one it is at 53m depth, treshhold for heavy narc, and NDL come in close most likely 4 min or maybe less to enter Deco by the time you reach that depth, two the arch is 26m long and there is current there, so you have some work load on you, and air will go bye bye very fast, Deco very risky not enough spare air to have a safety buffer, deardevils without planning IMO.

I've just had a look at yori's video on you tube.. Frightening to say the least.
Why does yori just sink to the bottom? If your negatively buoyant and sinking can't you just drop weights and fin up?? Or even just fin up with weights?? looks like suicide to me but I am just a newbie :)

I know I suppose to not pass the 32m, I already had been to 39.6m, always staying in my NDL, there are plans for a 50m, to be combined with a deep dive course, still I know the deep dive certification allows 42m if I'm not mistaken.

QUOTE]

this above quote is From another of your threads.

Remy it seems you need to SLOW down and take baby steps.You don't have a clue as to what you DON'T KNOW.

Me and my girlfriend went snorkelling at the blue hole and it was amazing. After watching the programme about it afterwards, I would feel sorry for the ones that lost their lives. However the programme I watched also showed experienced and properly trained divers, dive the arc perfectly. Keep on the safe side and don't dive the arc unless you know what your doing.

People wouldn't climb Everest without skills and training so why dive depths or challenges they haven't trained for?

Makes no sense to me, always stay within your personal limits. Go to the blue hole and experience it for yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom