dale hollow ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there is plenty of decent diving at Dale Hollow. There are maps floating around showing all the items sunk or divable sites. I've got one at home somewhere. I dove there in August a couple years ago and vis was decent but a sharp thermocline at 20-25'. There is or was a dive shop on the lake a couple years ago but I don't know if they are still open. Check out: http://www.willowgrove.com/diveshop.html
They will be able to answer any questions you have.

Dwight

I haven't but know of several that have. Be prepared to go deep and be cold. Why did I think that DH was in KY??

LOL...check out the pic of the divers on the web site. One guy is wearing a shorty, he isn't going far.

I live 45 minutes from Dale Hollow and dive there quit often. The dive shop at Willow Grove is open but hours are limited in the winter. The best diving, IMHO, is from Willow Grove down to the dam. Vis is here one day gone the next. Location means alot on the vis. Water temp is a little cool right know. 40-45.

So what are normal temps during the summer?

june surface temp-80. 30ft and deeper is cool at about 55-60. july will warm up a little bit. If you have never dove DH then you need to give it a try. Public camping at Willow Grove Marina or Lily Dale camp. Air fills and equipment rental at WG.

Is there enough to see for shore dives or is a boat a must.

Dale Hollow is wonderful. I started diving there in 1983. Back then the lake was full of fresh water clams.

The clams are gone now, mainly due to pollution. However Dale Hollow is cleaner (as far as pollution) than Laurel Lake & Lake Cumberland and this makes it my choice of lakes to dive. It farthest for me to drive as we are in Lexington, but I'll take the cleanest lake any day of the week.

There are some descent dive sites near Pine Island. We used to camp on Pine Island then take the boat for an off shore dive near some of the old towns/neighborhoods that remained when the area was flooded.

Nothing is left of them except a tractor or two, foundations of the houses, and the occasional fence row that hasn't rotted or rusted away yet. There is still marine life in these areas and it's great for nesting fish like "Kentucky Piranha" and bass.

Someone had mentioned the diveshop on the lake, yes...it's the best to find out where to dive and they usually have maps of where to dive.

If you dive from a boat, there are some areas in Dale Hollow that have this plant that grows from the bottom to the surface (kelp like I guess). Be careful as entanglement can be an issue. The plants are easily spotted from the surface and I've only seen them back in coves.

JP and I talked about this on our Fl trip. I will keep you to this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom