dam blew a ear today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
man I have been diving for many years and today ,when done with dive found blood in my ear well to make it short, I had no pain , no symtoms others than the blood needless to say gone to dr ear drum he thinks is ruptured so going to the specilist tomarrow , kinda worried me when he said the thought was ruptured made me wonder wear he got his license from any way keep you all informed !!!!!!!!!!

I forgot the smily face hum see if i can change it yes your right actually i have little bit of vertigo right now so tomarrow I hope he finds out what happened !!!!!!!!!!

medic13 once bubbled...
I forgot the smily face hum see if i can change it
Now I look like a dunce! :D

Oh well... I suppose I could change my post... but... this is more fun.

Sorry to hear about your ear and I hope that it is clear in the near future.

No pain huh? Weird... I would have thought it would be very painful.

I perforated my eardrum a while back and surprisingly there was no pain at all either. The problem is that I picked up a mean infection from it because I didn't see a doctor immediately. So, make sure to follow up with your ENT - the $45 for the office visit is well worth avoiding additional problems.

Hi medic13,

The diagnosis of ruptured eardrum is facilitated by inspection of the membrane with an otoscope. It's a little flashlight-like device with a conical piece on the end. You'll probably recall the pediatrician using one on you way back when. One would hope that your doctor carried out such an examination on your last visit.

In any event, apparently s/he felt that ENT referral was indicated. If it was my ear, I'd want ENT attention.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Question for the Doc. and posters.

It appears from these posts that it is possible to damage the eardrum without experiencing any pain. True?

Did those of you who damaged your eardrum feel any pressure? More than normal?

Is it possible for a normal healthy person to damage eardrum without feeling pressure?

Hi Scuba,

It is possible to damage the eardrum without experiencing any pain, although this is not the norm.

Have never damaged my eardrum.

A normal healthy person would be expected to experience a sensation of pressure prior to the damage.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

... is possible to damage the eardrum without experiencing any pain. True?

Yep, my poor ears have undergone a wide assortment of perforations, ruptures, etc.
Normal mode is to experience a noticeable amount of discomfort and vertigo, especially with a bigger tear when seawater gets into the middle ear & starts running down into your throat.
Sometimes a small perforation can only be detected by using the pressure checking thingie (help with the proper word Doc?):confused:
After your drums perforate a couple dozen times you'll be able to tell better than your GP if there's a hole in one.
:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom