DAN and Tec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to buy a dive insurance, and I choose DAN Europe because of its world coverage, but when I get to choose the benefits I have the following options

Death Extension € 25.000,00 (Technical diving excluded) € 30,00
Death Extension € 50.000,00 (Technical diving excluded) € 50,00
Standard travel insurance (120 days) € 0,00
Travel No-Limits: travel insurance extended to 365 days € 295,00

Benefits for your family
Travel No-Limits: 365-day travel insurance for up to 3 non-diving family members € 295,00
120-day Travel insurance for up to 3 non-diving family members € 30,00
Travel No-Limits: 365-day travel insurance for up to 6 non-diving family members € 590,00
120-day Travel insurance for up to 6 non-diving family members € 60,0

What means the travel insurance no-limit 365 days ? what does it cover ?

What covers Gold that doesn't the Silver plan ?

And I have the following observations and questions about DAN insurance / policy, and I appreciate the time and help to explain to me the following as it is not clear for me.

* Limitations for technical diving − If the diving activity being undertaken at the time of the accident was a technical diving, the maximum limit of the coverage will be 6.000,00 €

Recreational Diving means all snorkelling, and recreational Diving Activities (including voluntary work for civil protection agencies) carried out by the Insured as stated in the Schedule attached to this Policy with or without breathing apparatus whether as a student or not including:
a. Compressed air diving in any form
b. Enriched air “nitrox” diving with fixed percentages with an open circuit or a “rebreather”
c. The use of oxygen enriched air or of oxygen to maximize decompression safety
d. The use of normoxic “Trimix” mixtures at depths less than 50m to minimize the narcotic effects of compressed air; DAN Europe recommends gas partial pressures up to a maximum of 1,6ATA Oxygen and 5,6ATA Nitrogen in the breathing mixture
e. Technical Diving as defined subject to the medically recommended gas partial pressures of 1,4ATA Oxygen or up to a maximum of 1,6ATA Oxygen and 3,95ATA Nitrogen in the breathing mixture

Technical Diving means dives conducted with the use of variable gas mixtures (Nitrogen-Helium-Oxygen otherwise called Trimix or Helium – Oxygen otherwise called Heliox) up to depths not exceeding 130 metres. On written submission of a full dive profile and proposed safety and support measures insurers may consider providing specific per dive insurance for any dive exceeding 130 metres and/or the maximum gas partial pressure limits allowed above.

SECTION 1: DIVING RISKS The Insurers hereby agree that if an Accident occurs during a Diving Activity within the period of Insurance then we the Insurers will pay to or on behalf of the Insured reasonable Medical Expenses and if necessary Repatriation Expenses incurred as a result and the death or disability benefits after the total claim shall be substantiated. You will be covered during Recreational Diving for the following expenses as long as in Our opinion following consultation with Our Medical Officers, these expenses are medically necessary and the costs reasonable.

Do I understand right ?, a decompression dive is not a Technical Dive

A trimix seems not to be Technical dive but by other definition within the policy it says it is.

It seems that the means of recreational and technical diving are tricky or don't define where one starts or other stop or vise-versa

So if I want to do a Deco dive and want to be fully insured, I can, so far I don't add a 3rd gas ? or actually not well defined as it is very confusing

My graduation dive if you can called such, will be in a place that require you to have a dive insurance, this dive is a Tec dive to a depth of 42m by agency definition, but it may not by DAN definition or may is, all this is very confusing.

So if it is defined as a Technical dive DAN will pay only 6000eu, and normally a Hyperbaric ride is 10000+ all included per ride only "bummer"

And to top it off, it says that it doesn't have depth limits in the front page where you choose the insurance plan, but in the policy it does give you depth limitations

Sport Bronze
Suitable for divers who travel less and want good basic cover. It includes recreational diving (Air, Nitrox), but has depth limits (40 metres max) and technical diving is excluded.

Sport Silver
RECOMMENDED for all recreational divers. Any kind of diving, including technical, is covered. No depth limits.

Sport Gold
Designed for the most demanding divers. Higher limits of indemnity. Any kind of diving, including technical, is covered. No depth limits.

DAN Europe has completely different conditions compared to DAN America, or DAN Asia.
Be careful not to mix the information from different regions.
You might want to have a look at Aquamed insurance , too.

I tend to use Divemaster for any diving I do outside of the UK (www.divemasterinsurance.com). Not sure if they sell insurance to the rest of Europe however. It might be worth checking out.

I would try to talk to the insurer (DAN Europe) and ask for clarification rather than asking a bunch of us on the interwebz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom