dan comes thru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madeline

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Smokeair and I are back to diving, after last weekend at Ginny . we went down to Aia divers somewhere south of Jupiter Smoakeir dropped down and perferated his eardrum. crew was on it, and had chuck call DAn, Called the local hospital, and all is well. Just goes to show, that thatDAN ins is good to have. PS, the dive was not that good, first dive missed the reef. second dive, so so, currant was ripping,vis was cloudy, but soo good to be back in the water. and met up with a couple from scuba board. Baitstorm was a great help to all. The divers were fun, so it was ok. except for poor chuck.

Glad to hear ya'll are back diving. Hope Chuck heals quickly.

This is exactly why I will continue to protmote DAN insurance. Shane (The Instructor) and myself talked to Chuck about what was going on with his ear. When I heard he had gotten some vertigo along with the ear pain, I was pretty certain he blew out the ear. Shane went up and listened to Chuck's ear and had him clear, sure enough, he heard air from the drum. I grabbed my cell phone and had Chuck call DAN ASAP. They directed him to the nearest hospital (St. Mary's) where it was confirmed. The strangest thing about all of this was Chuck's attitude. What an awesome guy. Didn't complain about the conditions (wish we could control the viz,temp, and current), and kept a smiley face throughout the boat ride.

Unfortunately, Madeline's group did indeed miss the reef, and I apologize for that. With the current as strong as it was yesterday, a negitive entery should have been done in order to hit the reef. With the cross current, it was damn near impossible to get back on it. My group never hit any real ledges either. The viz was really crummy. Today was much better. Viz improved to about 50 feet, with almost zero current. The crazy thing is, another diver hurt his ear today too. I wish to God I could stress the importance of not diving when you have any sinus and ear stuff going on. I dont think this guy blew out the drum, but he definetly hurt it. Unfortunately, he didn't have DAN and will have to pay for his injury out of pocket.

Hope to see y'all back out soon, maybe for that three tanker we were talking about.

Sorry to hear about Chuck, but it is good to hear from you again, Madeline.

Chuck, hope you get better soon.

so many dives, so little time. our club found a house for rent in the keys, 3 bed 2 baths mile marker 27 $101.00 a day have one couple ready to go, me, now a third bedroom avail. date not set. but sometime end of may . boat out of savannah, and a trip maybe to Vortex springs. then the dive at Ginney may 14.just no time to find a job, darn. and the three tank dive with Baitstorm my head is swimming

I want to thank everyone who posted their thoughts on my unfortunate diving incident. I want to thank BaitedStorm and Captain Mike for their actions.

As far a DAN's response I have nothing but high praise. When the DAN MD told me that I needed to go to the ER at St.Mary's in WPB I told him that I did not have the money to pay for the visit even though DAN would reimburse me later. He told me not to worry, that he would call the ER let them know I was coming and that DAN would take care of the bill. When I arrived at the ER the registration person asked for my DAN card and that was that. I did not have any out of pocket expense, DAN took care ot it. I have had the DAN Master insurance for four years, total payments around $240 (around $60 a year). It more than paid for itself on that one ER visit. I have had to purchase over $300 dollars in meds plus $160 follow up visit to my Doc yesterday. DAN will reimburse for all of it. So if you dive and don't have DAN insurance I would highly recommend you get it today.

As for my ear well it's still perferated so it will be a week or so before I can hit the water. I hope it heals by the Ginnie Springs campout weekend as I'm planning on attending.

Chuck

Chuck, I'm glad to hear DAN came through for you. I do hope you can attend Ginnie Springs. If you need anything, just let me know....Get better man...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom