Dan Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad this post exists. My husband and I are heading to Curacao tomorrow and sorting out our dive insurance. I have DAN annual travel insurance currently, and just purchased our family membership and preferred accident insurance based on the posts above. I wish it had been more clearly advertised that their basic travel insurance doesn't cover dive accidents... I totally missed that until we were looking to sort out my husband's coverage. Also, their website says that the preferred accident insurance has a 250k limit per covered diving accident, but the plan brochure says 125k lifetime, just like the basic level. Hopefully we'll get that sorted out.

We purchase travel insurance from a broker here in Canada. 2 years ago we were in Curacao and my wife broke her heels. Had health travel insurance from Allianz and they eventually paid but were a PITA to deal with.
We found out that when you're out of country your doctor in Canada can not speak to you in any way for legal reasons.
What made a huge difference was that I sent an email to Allianz and our insurance provider, lawyer, and the Canadian consulate. Overnight their attitude changed and Donna was approved for the surgery. Curacao has a super nice hospital.

A dive accident is one that occurs while diving. Accident on boat going to dive site is not a dive accident (happened to me) broke 5 ribs (not Cozumel). Only Preferred and Guardian would cover those bills.

Contrary to the statement above, apparently DAN does NOT have any options that would cover an accident while riding a boat to/from a dive site.

After assessing the DAN options for membership levels (2) and accident coverage (3), I still had a question regarding "boat diving". Reading through their DAN-NUFIC-Master-Handbook-ID.pdf, this topic seemed that it may fall into "Named Water Sports - #1 Boating", but was somewhat unclear about the case when actually riding in a motor boat, whether or not for the specific purpose of dive location access. Thinking, maybe we needed to go all the way up to "Guardian" level to get covered... and so I sent DAN a simple email question...

Question (short version/paraphrased): What level of DAN coverage is needed for when riding in a dive operator's boat to/from a dive site?

Answer (quote) from DAN agent: "Our membership and dive insurance covers specific diving accidents and non-diving accidents and injuries outside of one's home country. We do not sell any products to cover boat operations."

Somewhat of a surprise, DAN apparently does not consider being on a dive boat part of normal diving activity / means of access, or even a Named Water Sport - Boating. Even when topping up both the DAN membership and coverage levels for 2 people to the sum of $458, we would not be covered if injured while on a dive boat (which as we all know can be quite perilous at times given sea conditions)!

Comments?

Contrary to the statement above, apparently DAN does NOT have any options that would cover an accident while riding a boat to/from a dive site.

After assessing the DAN options for membership levels (2) and accident coverage (3), I still had a question regarding "boat diving". Reading through their DAN-NUFIC-Master-Handbook-ID.pdf, this topic seemed that it may fall into "Named Water Sports - #1 Boating", but was somewhat unclear about the case when actually riding in a motor boat, whether or not for the specific purpose of dive location access. Thinking, maybe we needed to go all the way up to "Guardian" level to get covered... and so I sent DAN a simple email question...

Question (short version/paraphrased): What level of DAN coverage is needed for when riding in a dive operator's boat to/from a dive site?

Answer (quote) from DAN agent: "Our membership and dive insurance covers specific diving accidents and non-diving accidents and injuries outside of one's home country. We do not sell any products to cover boat operations."

Somewhat of a surprise, DAN apparently does not consider being on a dive boat part of normal diving activity / means of access, or even a Named Water Sport - Boating. Even when topping up both the DAN membership and coverage levels for 2 people to the sum of $458, we would not be covered if injured while on a dive boat (which as we all know can be quite perilous at times given sea conditions)!

Comments?
So you joined ScubaBoard to bitch about DAN?
You have purchased the cheapest plan and are complaining that it does not cover everything?
And you are using a 5-year old handbook to buttress your complaint?

So you joined ScubaBoard to bitch about DAN?
You have purchased the cheapest plan and are complaining that it does not cover everything?
And you are using a 5-year old handbook to buttress your complaint?
I am not at all intimidated by your abrasiveness or bulling tactics.

1. While my first forum post may have been regarding this DAN subject, it was none the less of interest when obtaining current contrary response directly from DAN and not hearsay as posted in this forum.

2. I am a diver and when on dive trips would expect a "diver oriented" network or fanboys to gloss over the facts - DAN does not cover you while you are on a dive boat for the purpose of diving (or not). I also quoted the MOST expensive plans available, not the cheapest as you misrepresented.

3. Current manual downloaded from DAN, Revised January 01, 2022. Again, you misrepresent.

Considering your responses, there seems to be issues which don't appear at all related to my OP.

Whatever. You sound like a lawyer.
Apparently you like to jump to conclusions and then defend them viciously.
Apparently you ignore all input except from an unnamed DAN agent who is, after all, just a salesman.
Go find some other insurance if you don't like DAN.
One question: why are you quoting the policies for the Master Plan when other plans have more coverage?

From DAN's website:

What Does Non-Diving Accident Coverage Include?​

The Guardian and Preferred dive accident insurance plans provide Non-Diving Accident Coverage for Accident Medical Expenses incurred outside your home country. The Guardian dive accident insurance plan also provides Named Water Sport Accident coverage while on a trip at least 50 miles/80 km from your home, for Accident Medical expenses, Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefits, and Permanent and Total Disability benefits. View Compare Coverage for complete terms and conditions.

Absolutely, I have every right to defend against your deliberate and directed insulting behavior, something YOU instigated. Frankly, it is a surprise you have lasted on this forum so long without getting banned, but yes, I am just a lowly newbie whom signed up recently. Shame on me, I bow to your greatness.

So you apparently believe the DAN agent's name should be posted here for your amusement?

... and what is with the incomplete snippet which omits the specific areas they do and do not cover? The DAN response was quite clear on this matter: "Our membership and dive insurance covers specific diving accidents and non-diving accidents and injuries outside of one's home country. We do not sell any products to cover boat operations.".

So you apparently believe the DAN agent's name should be posted here for your amusement?
Where did I say that?
... and what is with the incomplete snippet which omits the specific areas they do and do not cover? The DAN response was quite clear on this matter: "Our membership and dive insurance covers specific diving accidents and non-diving accidents and injuries outside of one's home country. We do not sell any products to cover boat operations.".
Your "DAN response" does not agree with the DAN website. Depending on the question you actually asked (which you refuse to provide) their response might be quite appropriate.

From my DAN Guardian handbook

"NAMED WATER SPORTS means:

1. Boating is a leisurely activity which involves the act of operating or riding in or on a boat, which is docked or on the water, for the pleasure of the travel itself. Includes: Canoeing, Cruising, Kayaking, Row boating and Sailing (as defined below), but excludes Fishing."

It is the 1st one. Maybe for the pleasure itself means somethingm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom