DAN membership?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matthewjen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Allright my wife and I will be returning to cozumel on the 3rd of august, can't wait to get back and hopefully dive some every day. we were there in feb/mar for a pretty bad norte season and missed some dive days, so we have some making up to do. But this time we are looking into DAN for some of the insurance. While we are doing our own research I decided it might be a good idea to reach out here for opinions on the different plans and the level of service provided. Our main concern is for coverage in case one of us has to take a chamber ride:no:. So does anyone have two cents to give a couple who try to dive regularly? Is one plan better than the other? Like I said we are doing our own research but I thought someone might want to chime in. Two weeks and counting the days.

Allright my wife and I will be returning to cozumel on
the 3rd of august, can't wait to get back and hopefully dive some every day. we were
there in feb/mar for a pretty bad norte season and missed some dive days, so we
have some making up to do. But this time we are looking into DAN for some of the
insurance. While we are doing our own research I decided it might be a good idea to
reach out here for opinions on the different plans and the level of service provided.
Our main concern is for coverage in case one of us has to take a chamber ride:no:. So
does anyone have two cents to give a couple who try to dive regularly? Is one plan
better than the other? Like I said we are doing our own research but I thought
someone might want to chime in. Two weeks and counting the days.

My wife and I have had DAN insurance for many years. We both opted for the top plan
which I think is $97 a year. I'm in the water a lot teaching and my wife can take a
camera and stay under till she turns into a prune.

DAN insurance is a supplement to your regular health insurance. Check with your plan and you will probably find that it will not cover hyperbaric chamber treatments and all the accompaning expenses that go with it. Air evac, or helicopter rides can be quite expensive.

A single chamber treatment of 5 1/2 hours, doctor exams before and after along with followups will cost you in the neighborhood of $5,000. I've never needed it but know folks that have taken a chamber ride. Think of it as low cost life insurance that pays off while you are still alive.

thanks for the reply. still wondering if the cheaper plan offers the insurance benefit of the chamber and associated costs.

We always have the top Dan plan...for peace of mind and since it doesn't cost much more than the lower plans. For specific info though, I am going to defer to the ScubaBoards resident Dan expert. He will be along shortly....don't mind the Texas accent, he's actually a very cool guy. Mat..meet Don. Don...help Mat. :D

We always have the top Dan plan...for peace of mind and since it doesn't cost much more than the lower plans. For specific info though, I am going to defer to the ScubaBoards resident Dan expert. He will be along shortly....don't mind the Texas accent, he's actually a very cool guy. Mat..meet Don. Don...help Mat. :D
While you're waiting on him to reply, I'd like to offer my opinions too, as I so often do here.
thanks for the reply. still wondering if the cheaper plan offers the insurance benefit of the chamber and associated costs.
OMG! You dived without dive insurance...?! :shocked2:

Actually I have known a few who have done that, two on one Cozumel trip. One of them took a hit the first day, the other got worried after seeing that and signed up for DAN dive insurance that night online, and two days later I helped load him onto an ambulance. They both came out okay, but one was out a lot of money. (The group I was traveling with had a drinking problem, mostly in leadership, and I no longer go with them.)

I have less than 500 dives but have seen 6 divers leave in ambulances. Serious accidents are rare, but certainly possible. Two of them would not have lived without DAN arranging and financing their emergency evacuations back to the states, one from Cozumel with the plane skirting Cat-5 hurricane Dean to retrieve her before it was expected to hit the next day.

Now I have also known one or two divers who thot they had excellent medical coverages, even outside of the US, that would cover their dive accidents fully, and had excellent MC or Visa cards with limits that would fund the expenses to be claimed later - or so they claimed. Rare incidents have been known to cost well in excess of $100,000 USD and I have to wonder how well MC and Visa will keep advancing credit to a diver on death's door, but it was their call.

I also know of a college boy who was diving with his large family, all certified but well - anyway, he took a bad one. Not expected to ever walk again but I see a news story now and then from google alerts for his name that sound a little promising. His mom joined in that accident discussion here on SB and within the posting she was asked if they were all covered by DAN ok? She didn't know what that was, so I suppose not unless they were without her knowledge. Dad might have handled that; I dunno.
Edit: Sorry, I got carried away last night when I should have been in bed. I don't guess all of those scary stories were necessary, but then didn't your instructor tell you to get dive insurance? He should have signed you up on the free student plan during training.​
But enough of those stories. Severe accidents are rare and you probly won't have one, hopefully not even a minor one, but coverage for all accidents is readily available, guaranteed issue - no underwriting, and cheap. It just seems insane to dive without coverage as it could happen to you.

As far as which company to use, DAN is the original, and their dive insurance is great. I do not think much of their trip or gear insurance, and there could be other corporate issues to discuss another time, but no questions on their dive insurance. Dive Assure is newer to the business but seems fine, never heard anything bad about them, and they are licensed to do business in most states - including California. You can compare plans and prices, then chose whichever, you like best. Both companies offer family discounts and choices of levels.

DAN's insurance requires separate membership @ $35/yr plus whichever plan you chose. See http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp Like Bill, I have the top plan which totals $105/yr and I think that is the most popular among members here. Just do not get the cheapest plan! It's a real loser*, and the middle plan is far better for only $10/yr more - so get the middle or the top.

Or go with Dive Assure if you like. See DiveAssure Scuba Diving Insurance | DiveAssure Programs Their plans are structured somewhat differently and the prices are not obvious, but I think their bottom plan is $79/yr and middle plan is $99/yr if you skip death benefit coverage which is included on the two good DAN plans - both good plans; their top plan is combination dive insurance and Travel Protection - perhaps more than you want to do at once. (I get my trip insurance from TavelSafe.com, but that's another story.) You can open new tabs by clicking both links, compare the plans, compare the prices, and good to go.

* DAN bottom plan: I actually had the pleasure of a phone chat with DAN's CEO on another matter once, really pleasant fellow - available to anyone who asks for him I suppose as I'm no one special, and aside from the main discussion I asked him why the hell they still offered that loser plan?! He said that some of their members want it and nothing more. I still think it needs to be canceled, but he's the CEO, and he works for the members. I just hate that so many sign up for the cheapest plan without looking at the comparisons; actually I think I did myself, but I know I have talked with many since who have - one currently in Roatan now. I talked them into upgrading before they left tho. This is why I go on and on about getting at least the middle DAN plan if not the top one or Dive Assures.

Hope that helps you some. This is not at all a Cozumel topic as you need dive insurance for any body of water in the US or away, but whatever - glad you asked and glad you're taking action.

Last edited:
There are some really great things about DAN and the way that insurance claims are handled. I, too, recommend the Preferred Plan for its additional coverage, which I've used while never needing the dive-related coverage -- knock wood. First, if you have any medical questions, you can call them and they will help you (this is a benefit of regular DAN membership.) Second, DAN is recognized as a sure payer by so many chambers, clinics and hospitals around the world, that its insurance is accepted as a matter of course -- no questions just give your DAN number. Third, the premiums are low. Finally, with the better plan, non-dive related accidents are covered as long as you're 250 miles from home and the deductibles are reasonable.

Highly recommended.

Get the max plan offered, Preferred it's only about $5 and some change a month for much increased coverage , and for each occurrence ... the lowest plan has coverage for only one time
and the next one up , while better, may not be enough
... you can have the maximum Preferred Plan for the price of one fast food meal a month .. I think in that light you can't afford not to get it

BTW ... My friend is many 100's of thousands of dollars thankful for DAN and the Preferred Plan that came to bat for her

CEO's Office at DAN:
Sir I have Don on the phone for you...
Well, tell him I'm in a meeting..:dozingoff:
No, sir, its Dandy Don...
Well, why didn't you say so, quick transfer that in here. What were you thinking leaving HIM on hold???:shocked:

:lol::lol:

Don't walk, but RUN to your phone or computer and get your DAN insurance for both of you right now, this minute, TODAY! We have the middle plan and have had it for atleast 12 years. We've called them several times for advise with great satisfaction! Also, it paid 100% of a chamber ride back in 2006 and because we'd already met our own insurance out of network deductible, we didn't even have to pay that! I'm telling you it was walk in to the clinic, give the card, and it was a very pleasant (considering the situations) experience of being taken care of physically, emotionally, and financially! You will not regret it for the peace of mind it will give you. PLEASE DON'T DIVE UNTIL YOU DO HAVE SOME SORT OF DIVE INSURANCE.... things can and do happen to all of us no matter what our experience level!
I hope the replies ahead of mine plus this one convince you to take action right now and get yours before your upcoming trip. Enjoy yourselves with peace of mind in all honesty.......
We get the 1 family membership type@ $55 and 2 of the Master dive accident insurance @$35 each so that's a total of $125 ($55+$35+$35)to have the "middle" DAN plan.
The top plan would be $70 each if you are wondering the difference of price between middle and top.
Good luck with your decision of which plan, but by all means please pick one and get it coming to you before your trip! Safe bubbles to you.....

Sorry, I got carried away last night when I should have been in bed. I don't guess all of those scary stories were necessary, but then didn't your instructor tell you to get dive insurance? He should have signed you up on the free student plan during training.
Finally, with the better plan, non-dive related accidents are covered as long as you're 250 miles from home and the deductibles are reasonable.
Uh, I don't think so Deb. TravelAssist can be requested with "up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. Effective for both diving and non-diving injuries, this benefit is provided by AIG Travel Assist, a world leader in emergency evacuation services. Your evacuation coverage begins when you are traveling at least 50 miles/80 km from home and call DAN TravelAssist to arrange your evacuation." That's part of DAN membership, not the insurance, but very important when needed. That link

The $10,000 Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage is for "eligible charges for treatment of non-diving accidents outside home country. $250 deductible" Link Occurring outside home country
CEO's Office at DAN:
Sir I have Don on the phone for you...
Well, tell him I'm in a meeting..:dozingoff:
No, sir, its Dandy Don...
Well, why didn't you say so, quick transfer that in here. What were you thinking leaving HIM on hold???:shocked:

:lol::lol:
I was totally surprised when he took the call, expecting to be handled by some assistant, but really needed DAN's answer from as high as I could get on a question - so I tried. He really is a very pleasant fellow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom