DAN Report thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Your catching on now I think

Mike, you're the one that offers this up as an indication of a trend.

Yes but not on the net that I know of. I almost don't believe you took a trimix class. Didn't any of your training include diving phisiology specificaly the effects of CO2 build up? The effects were well covered in the text I was required to study with references to scientific studies.

Mike, I know exactly what a CO2 hit is from practical experience, long before training, but, like the "many" deep air deaths, I wonder why you continually refer to it as a significant problem, which it isn't.

Popeye,

I don't need the number of divers in the universe or the number of dives they conducted because I'm ont trying to calculate the probability that any one will be injured.

I wouldn't try to use the data for probability calculations. It doesn't take detailed calculations to know that buoyancy control problems can be dangerous and can lead to rapid ascents.

Trend, I believe was the word you used.

Also, that it was an indication of poor training standards, or practices.

The data support neither conclusion.

Popeye once bubbled...

Mike, I know exactly what a CO2 hit is from practical experience, long before training, but, like the "many" deep air deaths, I wonder why you continually refer to it as a significant problem, which it isn't.

Your are also then aware of the role excessive CO2 can play in narcosis and dispnea and the significance of those relationships.

How do you define significant? Do you have anything to support your assertion that it isn't a significant problem?

Popeye once bubbled...

Ya, but.

Embolism was the result.

What was the cause?

Wht don't you read the new article and suggest some possibilities? the link is in the the thread and still works.

Popeye once bubbled...

Trend, I believe was the word you used.

Also, that it was an indication of poor training standards, or practices.

The data support neither conclusion.

so you believe that dive training in general is good enough and that divers are being turned loose with adequate skills?

Wht don't you read the new article and suggest some possibilities? the link is in the the thread and still works.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbc...06110046&Ref=AR

Au, contrare.

I'm not the assumption type.

I think it's much more relevent to this discussion that you tell us what conclusions you draw.

so you believe that dive training in general is good enough and that divers are being turned loose with adequate skills?

I believe that -overwhelming- empirical evidence shows that the vast majority of divers are trained to a degree the enables them to safely dive at a basic level.

I also believe that accident analysis will show poor diver judgement, NOT RELATED TO OW TRAINING, is responsible for the -majority- of the almost non-existant percentage of accidents that divers have.

Popeye once bubbled...

I believe that -overwhelming- empirical evidence shows that the vast majority of divers are trained to a degree the enables them to safely dive at a basic level.

By -overwhelming- empirical evidence do you mean that the number of injuries is small compared to the number of divers? Certainly it is a small minority who are or will be injured but are they unimportant? Do you feel there is nothing that can be done about it?

What is basic level? I think this is really important.

I also believe that accident analysis will show poor diver judgement, NOT RELATED TO OW TRAINING, is responsible for the -majority- of the almost non-existant percentage of accidents that divers have.

I agree poor judgement plays a major role but why? You say it isn't related to OW training. Isn't teaching a diver to evaluate a dive in relation to their training and ability part of diver training? Isn't teaching the importance of good basic skills and keeping them sharp part of diver training? Where does the bad judgement come from? Are all of the divers who use poor judgement just too stupid to follow their training?

Back
Top Bottom