Dan Smb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone used this? If so, what do you think of it? Can it be inflated using a secondary at depth? Also, does it have a means of preventing air from escaping if the SMB falls at the surface (i.e. a one-way valve)? Does anyone know how much lift it provides? I've contacted DAN twice about this but have not gotten a response.

I bought one in April... It can be inflated at depth, but does not have a one-way valve. But it is designed so that it would be relatively difficult for air to escape. I don't have hard numbers for lift, but I would venture that, due to its size, you're probably in the 15-20lb order of magnitude...

I've deployed it a few times for practice, and have hung off it for safety stops. It does the job for me!!!

YMMV!

Alex

It looks like a nice setup, I plan to get one one of these days.

Diver Dennis:
I use a couple different ones but this one I use does have a dump valve in case of over-inflation but no whistle like the DAN model.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Acc_signal.asp

Actually, DAN only supplies a storm whistle (also a signalling mirror and cyalume) with the SMB. It's not like it's integrated. The items fit in a small mesh pocket at the base of the SMB. If you don't need those items, and you find a comparable product for less, go for that one.

Just to confirm, it can be inflated with a secondary (not just orally) at depth, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom