Dangerous conditions in Coz right now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have reservations for a dive on Palancar Horseshoe and San Francisco Shallows on Monday April 7th with my newly certified 14 year old son. His only experiance is his open water test and two river dives with me. He's a strong swimmer, comfotable in the water, and physically fit. Should I recosider the dive or trust my DM to make the right call?

I have reservations for a dive on Palancar Horseshoe and San Francisco Shallows on Monday April 7th with my newly certified 14 year old son. His only experiance is his open water test and two river dives with me. He's a strong swimmer, comfotable in the water, and physically fit. Should I recosider the dive or trust my DM to make the right call?

Consider hiring a private DM to dive with you and your son. (Your dive shop can arrange this, just let them know your request in advance.) You will still dive with the group, but the DM's focus will be on both of you.

My best suggestion at this point in time is to choose the site (s) to dive on the day of your dives. Of course, requests are fine, but the DM's and captain's are the folks who can make the best choice for the day. Also, hiring a private DM for a newly certified diver is a very good idea regardless of conditions. A private DM can focus on one diver and adapt the dive to individual needs. Wishing you a wonderful Cozumel dive day !

I have reservations for a dive on Palancar Horseshoe and San Francisco Shallows on Monday April 7th with my newly certified 14 year old son. His only experience is his open water test and two river dives with me. He's a strong swimmer, comfortable in the water, and physically fit. Should I reconsider the dive or trust my DM to make the right call?

A private DM can allow you two (three with DM) to dive on top of the reef or on the shore side while others go on the ocean side of the reef. Do not let this thread make you scared of Cozumel diving.

170' and they were probably on rented al80's. Wow, hope everyone was ok. Thats one situation I would never want to be in as a DM.

170' and they were probably on rented al80's. Wow, hope everyone was ok. Thats one situation I would never want to be in as a DM.

That op uses high pressure steel tanks. The DM did not say anything about anyone NOT being okay, so I assume they were/are.

I would like to just point out, these conditions and the funky currents are typical for this time of year and season......not like this is a once in a lifetime terribad super dangerous you all will die (especially split fins ppl! :) ) event.

I would like to just point out, these conditions and the funky currents are typical for this time of year and season......not like this is a once in a lifetime terribad super dangerous you all will die (especially split fins ppl! :) ) event.
Actually, they are typical of occasional occurrences around Cozumel year round.

Is it true that the rapidly shifting current can tear a split fin in half and right off your feet? I think I read that in the manual for my slingshots.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom