Dangerous marine animals--

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Dangerous Marine Animals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I first met the author Dr. Bruce Halstead at a party at Bob Ruetherford's home in the mid 1950s. (see portage Quarry -Legends of diving--Sea Sabers signaling system) At that time Dr Halstead was just dreaming about doing extensive research on Dangerous Marine Animals and publishing a book...He did very well......

His first work,a three volume book set is titled "Poisonous and venomous Marine Animals of the world" by Dr Bruce Halstead, LCCC 65-60000, hard picture covers with out dust jackets published in 1965 by the US Government printing office. This work is the base line which all present and certainly future research will be based. There was nothing like it published prior to his research and certainly nothing of this magnitude will published by future researchers

Volume 1 is 994 Pages, Volume 11 consists of 1070 pages and volume 111 consists of 1006 pages for total of 3007 well illustrated pages jammed packed with valuable information. Each 8 -1/2 X 11 page is lavishly illustrated with drawings and underwater and topside photographs of the animals .

It's original publication price was $160.00 hard earned Yankee dollars. Some years ago a beat up well used research set sold for $750.00 on E bay, currently there are several listed in the used book market ranging from around $100.00 for a single chapter of the book to almost $600.00 for the complete set. I suspect that most do not have or have never seen or possibly heard of the set-- Now you have! (and Dale C will find one in Canada for 1.98!--What a book hound!)

There is a less expensive book also by Dr Halstead that is addressed to the layman. it is :

"Dangerous marine Animals-that bite, sting -are non-edible" published 1959,Cornell Maritime press, LCCC 58-59799, 146 pages, hard cover with dust jacket

The second revised and enlarged consumer edition;

"Dangerous marine Animals-that bite, sting -are non-edible" was revised and enlarged was published in 1980, ISBN 0- 87033-268-6, 208 pages, picture cover, no dust jacket.

Yes, I have all the editions inscribed to me by Dr Halstead..

There is also another published edition "A color atlas of dangerous marine animals" by Dr Halstead, Paul Auerbach and Dorman Campbell. Published in 1990 ISBN # 0849371392 & ISBN # 9780894371994. It is an illustrated photo edition that might also be of interest to the traveler.

With advent of international dive travel to remote locations often devoid of modern medical assistance it would behove the modern dive traveler to obtain one of the later two books for their reference library. It would be a good investment

It is suggested that the reader go to "Greetings from the son of Bruce W. Halstead, M.D."
in the introductions and greeting thread.

I was surprised that it took Dr Halstead over 20 years (23 to be exact ) to compile the information contained in these three volumes...

SDM

Agree. I have both recent editions. There is some bad stuff in the waters in Asia and i hope that i never experience the bit of these creatures. The box jelly scares the bejesus out of me as i am in asia and it is here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom