Dangerous Marine Creatures... Questions for our Marine Scientists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheeFrosty

Registered
Reaction score
My dad NetDoc, told me I should ask this here...

Of all the marine creatures:

1) Which is the most dangerous to encounter?

2) Which is the most beautiful to watch?

3) How can you safely dive near them?

4) Are there any safety tips you should follow around ANY marine animal?

Well, I'll have a go at this. I would say the most dangerous and perhaps beautiful to watch would be very large (12-18 footers) pelagic sharks. This would include oceanic white tips, makos, tigers and great whites. I figure that any big shark cruising in blue water might take a chunk out of anything alive to see if it's edible. I suppose you could safely dive near them in a cage....with very thick bars.
There are many creatures that are very venemous and can kill you very quickly (cone shells, stone fish, blue ring octopus, sea wasps, sea snakes, to name a few) but you have to provoke them or touch them or be crazy enough to pick on up.

4) Don't touch, chase, harass, or get too close is a good general rule that will keep you out of trouble much of the time, but it doesn't cover everything. The definition of "close" and "harass" depends on the critter and certain animals have unique behaviors where that rule won't help much. So educating yourself on the specific marine life you are likely to encounter in an area is a good tip. One example that comes to mind is the titan triggerfish in breeding season, it would be helpful to know they are extremely aggressive and supposedly guard a cone shaped territory over their nest but can be approached somewhat more closely low and from the side. (I say supposedly, because the one that came after me had apparently not read the book.)

Then there's always the rule about not acting like a wounded seal on the surface in an area where there are sharks..

If Damselfish where the size of sharks no one would ever go in the ocean! :wink::D:no

1. your buddy!
2. Could be your buddy!:wink:
3. Maybe your buddy if you pick well! :wink:
4. Train and practice and dive as often as possible!

1. Man
2. Woman
3. Depends on their attitude at any given time.
4. Respect their space, don't touch, aggravate, or do anything you wouldn't want them to to you.
:D

Here are Dad's answers... though I am not a marine scientist.

1) The most dangerous sea creature is the one you did not see. This could be a box jelly or that shark you just did a giant stride onto.

2) The Lion Fish ranks right up there, but I do want to see a blue ringed octopus!

3) Keep your distance! Almost all injuries are defensive in nature. If you don't touch them, they will probably not touch you... except of course for damn-sel fish! :)

4) Keep your fingers out of their space. Don't harass and don't make sudden movements.

Well I guess the most dangerous one to encounter would be any venomous sea creature previously mentioned (stone fish are tricky they blend in very well to the surrounding rocks) because often times a sting or bite may be nearly impossible to treat at certain locations depending on how close to a hospital you are. Depending on your reaction they could be fatal. In addition MANY sharks can be dangerous if prevoked or if there is bait in the water (spear fishing around sharks is not recomended). Also one must consider sea crates (sea snake) as a threat although it takes almost an effort to get bitten by one, but they are highly venomous. I would have to say that crates are also very fun to watch in the water. With the exception of sharks smelling blood in the water most of the "dangerous" sea creatures only bite or sting in defense when startled by divers. Keep a safe distance from anything that you can't recognize as being docile. Never stick your hands in blind crevices. Anything could be in there. Always be aware of your surroundings. Most of all respect the environment you are diving in and practice safe diving.

Here are Dad's answers... though I am not a marine scientist.

2) The Lion Fish ranks right up there, but I do want to see a blue ringed octopus!

Has the Lion Fish become more toxic in the Atlantic? I know a few people stung by them (fishermen handling nets in the Philippines) and they said it hurts like hell but it's not fatal.

Great avatar Frosty. I know a certain someone who would appreciate an av like that.

Most beautiful to watch is subjective IMO. I love bull sharks, Seahares, turtles, spotted eagle rays, loads of macro stuff, and manta rays, but my favorite is an octopus.

Back
Top Bottom