Dangers of Buddy Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are some well-known dangers to diving with a buddy, but I thought it would be fun to see how long of a list we can come up with :) I'll start with a few of my own favorites

* You can get out of breath trying to keep up with a buddy who swims faster than you. Being out of breath makes an air problem more urgent.

* Buddy can kick your mask off with his fin by accident

* Buddy can rush you when getting ready for the dive, making it more likely you will forget to do something important

(Edit: Some of these I've done to my buddies by accident, others have been done to me. It's not about pointing my finger at others :wink: )

Sounds like you know Buddy.

Did you know he once handed me his goodie bag stuffed with fire coral while he ran off to moon the 'cudas? Does he still show off the glove shaped scars on his bum at happy hour? :mooner:

Buddy Bubber. I hadn't thought of him in years...

DeepBound:
There are some well-known dangers to diving with a buddy, but I thought it would be fun to see how long of a list we can come up with :)
* Buddy doesn't know how to be a buddy.

* Ignores the dive plan.

* Ignores ME.

* Not qualified to do this dive.

* Not fit.

* No dives in a long time.

* Takes unnecessary risks.

* Disregard for techniques to avoid DCS.

* Descends and ascends the downline above me with armed speargun.

....and you call these people BUDDIES!!!!!!!!! :11:

BigTuna:
* Buddy doesn't know how to be a buddy.

* Descends and ascends the downline above me with armed speargun.

So what! As long as you can trust that s/he never points the loaded gun at you that should not be a problem?

If the diver can't control the gun on ascent/descent, then they shouldn't be hunting.

I never descend without having the gun loaded

* You're more likely to do things you aren't trained for, like going into overhead, because your buddy can rescue you

Buddy convinces you that you don't need that pony bottle because he has your redundant air, but then doesn't look your way often enough to see if you're drowning.

Mike Veitch:
kicks up sand and sediment creating backscatter....

Or actually comes in and knocks you out of the way to get HIS shot...

Back
Top Bottom