Dangers of Buddy Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddy doesn't even make the dive, because "something last minute came up" AGAIN!:banghead:

Wait, is that a bad thing?:D

Dave

Buddy has OOA emergency. He swims up to you, rips primary from your face and is now launching himself to the surface with a fully inflated bc while dragging you with him. Now you're BOTH in the chamber and you were never smart enough to get Dan insurance. No he's not going to help you pay for the chamber ride. Oh and he Does have DAN insurance for HIS bill

hate the feeling of beeing responsible for a buddy, except tech dives including trimix dives, never thought about beeing an instructor and that's why i've always refused this sort of offers in the past. even if i have a buddy, which is rare, we see each other only when descending and commencing deco stops as we be same sort of a kind with the "buddy". althuough i prefer solo dives mostly, i've never ever offered this to anyone.

take care

ps: i'm an ATC at an international airport's approach sector, and a part time commercial diver in my off days to increase my income by doing any underwater job suits to me at that moment.

DeepBound:
There are some well-known dangers to diving with a buddy, but I thought it would be fun to see how long of a list we can come up with :) I'll start with a few of my own favorites

* You can get out of breath trying to keep up with a buddy who swims faster than you. Being out of breath makes an air problem more urgent.

* Buddy can kick your mask off with his fin by accident

* Buddy can rush you when getting ready for the dive, making it more likely you will forget to do something important

(Edit: Some of these I've done to my buddies by accident, others have been done to me. It's not about pointing my finger at others :wink: )

How a about a drunk buddy that you didn't realize was drank until after the fact

Buddy picks his nose then eats your doritos on the boat, and you are stuck out in the middle of the water with nothing but a bag of bugery cool ranch doritos.

makes you feel safer. Even when not true, so you have false sense of security.

Turns your air off accidently.

^ Isn't that the truth. I've been with a couple buddies who I was sure were steady and reliable who, when a small wrench was thrown into the works, revealed that perhaps they weren't the ones I wanted around when the poop hit the fan for real.
Do you really know who your buddy is?
The incidents did however serve to hammer home with me that self reliance is the surest way to maintain your safety.

Dave

Remember everyone dives alone, some of us just are honest about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom