Dark pictures in sea mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver2fun

Registered
Reaction score
Hello every1, I bought a dc1200 elite last week and I'm wondering why the pictures in sea mode are much darker and grainier than normal land pictures. Maybe it's the shutter speed? I didn't find a way to adjust it tho, it looks like it's only possible to adjust it on manual strobe mode.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I think we need a lot more information. PM me your email address if you'd like to send me a few pics.

Well I was only able to take a few pictures during a training in a indoor swimming pool (not worth showing), but pictures came out extremely dark when not using the external flash (in sea mode). The LCD shows a much brighter scene but when taking the picture it turns out to be much darker. The lightning condition in the pool was quite bad, that's probably the problem. But still I'm not really sure if this is normal.

Maybe there are some settings I missed? Didn't see many things to adjust in sea mode, apart from ISO and exposure value (which can't be changed underwater).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I dunno. Haven't had my 12 wet yet. On previous models, I have had better luck shooting on automatic settings, then fixing in Irfanview - which is what I wanted to try on yours, to read Exif and enhance. Good luck.

Maybe in an indoor swiming pool., you don t need to select sea mode, cloudy, may be enough.

I'll give that a try, although the instruction manual says automode is not suitable for underwater shots. In addition to the sea mode, there's also a snorkel mode, but apart from the white balance there's not much difference.

I'll give that a try, although the instruction manual says automode is not suitable for underwater shots. In addition to the sea mode, there's also a snorkel mode, but apart from the white balance there's not much difference.
Not clear on who you are posting to but I meant auto sea mode. The last pics I shot from my DC500 were at a snorkel class at an indoor pool - on sea mode above and below water. They were not dark at all.

Not clear on who you are posting to but I meant auto sea mode. The last pics I shot from my DC500 were at a snorkel class at an indoor pool - on sea mode above and below water. They were not dark at all.

I was replying to inka.

I read of people using land auto mode underwater, I'll try that tonight.

I was replying to inka.

I read of people using land auto mode underwater, I'll try that tonight.
You do? Won't work at depth but maybe in a pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom