Darrell Allen Light Rebuild Mod I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob DBF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
MOD 1

I picked up an old Darrell - Allen Bug Diver 400 in a deal with other gear.

P1012370.jpgP1012369.jpg

Externally the light case was great and the switch worked, but the battery pack was shot. There was a 10 D cell circular battery holder that was corroded, I cleaned out and repainted inside the case and found an 8 cell pack at Radio Shack that would fit after a few modifications, basicly removing plastic so the reflector would fit back in the light.

P9280003.jpg

The light was under powered and the replacement incandescent and LED lamps that would fit in the screw type holder did not have the power needed to be as good as the lights I had. On the good side it did not leak down to 130’.

P9280008.jpg

It worked fine but I was not happy.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Another trip down memory lane. I think that I had two of these lights. They were ok, but a PITA to deal with the screws and o-ring in the groove. They got eBayed a long, long time ago. I think that's my fond memory of them.

Enjoy the light!

Mod 2

MOD 2

P1012371.jpg

In order to get a more powerful light on the Darrell - Allen Bug Diver 400, I needed to get a better reflector, the old had lost its shine probably from the leaking batteries, that would take a brighter light as the original was a disapointment. I was looking for some time and then Home Depot to the rescue, I found that the Defiant premium spotlight with 350 lumens would replace perfectly, the reflector in the D-A light.

P1012523I.jpg

I could have used the 6 AA cells in the light, but instead I chose to cut down and rewire the battery pack I had already made. Instead of 6 cells in series, the light uses 3 cells in series (4.5V) in parallel with the other 3 in series. The foam sheet is a spacer to keep the battery pack from moving by taking the space up between the pack and the LED assembly.

P1012734I.jpgP1012733I.jpgP1012732I.jpgP1012731I.jpg

The light is killer with a 3.5” diameter reflector, and from my calculations about a 1 to 2 degree beam. (9 to 10 ½” over 13’ depending on how you measure the spot) In any event there is no problem from backscatter from silt. I went through a silt plume yesterday following the beam without so much backscatter the light was disorienting

P1012736I.jpgP7210113I.jpg

I always wanted a Darrell - Allen light, but with todays new lights I was disappointed with Mod I, which may have been a good beam back then. However, Mod 2 is so much better than any light I have had, underwater or not, I'll be using it for some time.

Bob
-------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Bob DBF!!!!! You are my hero!!!!

Thank you for sharing your mod.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom