Darwin at work!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BetterLateThannever

Contributor
Reaction score
You just got read this....

-------------------------------------------
Australian tourism authorities may change laws "to protect people too stupid to protect themselves" after sightseers clambered on a floating dead whale and patted great white sharks eating the carcass.

South Australia state Environment Minister Iain Evans said Tuesday he was shocked at the level of disrespect some people showed for their own safety.

"I am also appalled by the bizarre behavior of walking across the back of dead whales or, for that matter, patting a great white shark while it is feeding," Evans said

"These creatures are not toys. In the case of the great white, they can be extremely dangerous and it is clear the state government will need to look at changing the law in order to protect people too stupid to protect themselves," he added.

At present, marine regulations only prevent people from coming within 100 meters (yards) of a live whale. No restrictions apply to dead whales.

Evans said he will ask his department to consider a similar exclusion zone for dead whales.

"It may be the only way we can keep sightseers from getting so close that they put themselves in danger of other marine animals," he said.

The tourists' actions were caught on film this week near Cape Jervis, 100 kilometers (60 miles) south of Adelaide.

The southern right whale died late last week. About a dozen sharks immediately began devouring the carcass, sometimes tearing off chunks of flesh in a feeding frenzy.

Boat operators cashed in, ferrying dozens of customers to the site for a closer look.
-------------------------------------------

Now don't you feel a lot smarter.:)

nuff said

AFter just reading the thread on shark attacks... this one certainly takes the cake for irresponsibility!

:)

I was watching the feeding activity on TV yesterday and I have to say that it actually made me nervous. There were 4 great white's feeing off the dead whale...one of the great whits was 5m long (16ft).

Then in the middle of the feeding a guy jumps from the boat onto the back of the whale and starts waving his arms above his head and cheering. I was dumbstruck. He then slips, nearly falls over and doesn't and cheers again.

This whale has been dead for two to three days. Its starting to decay, its slippery and there are 4 great whites in varing sizes eating it. I dunno about you but the last thing that comes to my mind had I been there is "Yeah I'll just jump on its back and see what happens.

Just shows though eh?

Hocky

The concensus here was that the shark was probably thinking that live human would taste better than decomposing whale...if only he'd come a little bit closer...

I actually had a person tell me " see sharks don't eat people" after some talk I added "people taste like chicken, and some sharks only eat white meat"

Yeah those people, imagine the worse and someone actually got bit, what would the charter boat do? "we'll refund your money"

Darwin was right, thanks for the post BLTN.

I didn't read the article but realized BLTN post was about a piece I saw on the news this morning. Commentator said government officials are considering creating laws against this kind of activity to protect people since the participants are too stupid to protect themselves.

OMG!!!!! I can't believe anyone is that stupid. I love the water and diving(as we all do), and even love doing shark dives(gets your heart pumping) BUT this is ridiculious. NO WAY I want to be that close to a great white. Makes you wonder...."what were they thinking?" :confused:
Ldreamin

I don't see the problem here!

Most sharks are endangered, we have a plethora of stupid people, we seem to breed stupid people faster than Nature can kill them off. If anything, let's pass laws to "Protect the boat owners rights" to ferry the terminally stupid and drop them off at the local Shark Feeding frenzys!

Ah yes, Survival of the Fittest at it's finest!

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom