Darwin's Dream - Galapagos Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question: were you able to use any lights? From what I can see most is shot in ambient light
I am going there in 2 weeks and I have built a special rig with a single light just for spotting as I don't think I can cover subjects so distance. Am I on the right track?

Question: were you able to use any lights? From what I can see most is shot in ambient light
I am going there in 2 weeks and I have built a special rig with a single light just for spotting as I don't think I can cover subjects so distance. Am I on the right track?

sorry, just got back from socorro. The animals DO NOT like lights especially at Wolf and Darwin. The only ones that were okay with it were the spotted eagle rays. sharkes turtles etc...freaked them out more than any other location I have been to.
Dustin

sorry, just got back from socorro. The animals DO NOT like lights especially at Wolf and Darwin. The only ones that were okay with it were the spotted eagle rays. sharkes turtles etc...freaked them out more than any other location I have been to.
Dustin

Looking forward to your Socorro vids. Did you take any lights with you and what arms did you use?

Looking forward to your Socorro vids. Did you take any lights with you and what arms did you use?

I took lights....but didn't use them. I use ulcs arms, as I have 2 sola 4000's. and a sola 2000. I really prefer natural light for wide angle.

I have designed a mini portable rig for Darwin and wolf with a single light (emergency not video) and a coupe of floats. You told me you had ISO 160-400. Did you shoot 24p or 30p? What aperture did you select with the rectilinear lens?

I have designed a mini portable rig for Darwin and wolf with a single light (emergency not video) and a coupe of floats. You told me you had ISO 160-400. Did you shoot 24p or 30p? What aperture did you select with the rectilinear lens?

My iso was 160-640. 30p. I try not to go below F8. You are going to have to play with it, depending on the conditions, time of day etc..I know the last dive of the day was really just too dark to shoot with natural light (with a reasonable iso).

With my RX100 I have a little advantage as all is in focus at 1meter already at f/4 with the lens I use. So I gain two stops however I have issues setting white balance with this camera (it always give an error!) so I need a filter that takes away 1 f/stop and I shoot at double frame rate so shutter speed is doubles hence we are back at the same values of ISO with a much smaller camera.
Maybe I try to shoot 25p (PAL system) and reduce shutter speed to gain a f/stop so am at ISO400 after all of this and shoot single frame rate as I don't ever slow motion wide angle footage

With my RX100 I have a little advantage as all is in focus at 1meter already at f/4 with the lens I use. So I gain two stops however I have issues setting white balance with this camera (it always give an error!) so I need a filter that takes away 1 f/stop and I shoot at double frame rate so shutter speed is doubles hence we are back at the same values of ISO with a much smaller camera.
Maybe I try to shoot 25p (PAL system) and reduce shutter speed to gain a f/stop so am at ISO400 after all of this and shoot single frame rate as I don't ever slow motion wide angle footage

I used 25p and 1/50s shutter speed in my previous trip to Cocos, I find it okay for most of the shots but not for a fast moving fish (such as a scared skittish hammerhead)

I used 25p and 1/50s shutter speed in my previous trip to Cocos, I find it okay for most of the shots but not for a fast moving fish (such as a scared skittish hammerhead)

HI frankie. Is this the new video on youtube or you have not got that one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom