Daughter Freaked Out by Tiny Night Dive Critters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
We (wife, son, daughter, and I) did one night dive when we were at Sunset House last August, on their house reef.

Daughter (17 at the time) was freaked out by the swarms of critters in the water, attracted to our dive lights. There were (I realize I'm using technical zoological names here) the "squigglies," worm-like things about an inch long - reddish, I seem to remember -- that would coil and writhe. I thought they were cool, but I have to admit they started getting on my nerves toward the end of the dive.

But she really got upset at what she referred to as tiny gnat-like critters, also swarming around her light. I don't recall seeing those, but she sure does.

So much so, that she's reluctant to do a night dive when we return to Grand Cayman this July (staying at Cobalt Coast, this time).

So what were these critters? And are they typical on night dives there?

I've seen them, and the read color may make them more irritating/upsetting. About the best you can do is hold your light as far away from your face as possible and wear a beanie or other cap to keep them out of your hair. Hope you don't have to put up with them much as the desirable life is so abundant at night.

When they get too annoying go find a nice hungry coral to hold your light near. A good brain can grab so many of them that it looks like a small firework went off in the water. Pretty much any hard coral will have it's feeding tentacles out at night and will be more than happy for a free meal.

Blood worms, huh? what about the gnat-like things?

Oh, she read my post above, and corrected me that she wasn't "upset"... just annoyed. Um, OK.

Try feeding them to the corals? Daughter said, "Really???" Hmmm... worth a try.

Blood worms, huh? what about the gnat-like things?

Oh, she read my post above, and corrected me that she wasn't "upset"... just annoyed. Um, OK.

Try feeding them to the corals? Daughter said, "Really???" Hmmm... worth a try.
Haha yeah dad, there's a big difference between "freaked" and "annoyed." :D

Red wormmie thingies and the other underwater gnat-like thingies, both irritating - but not harmful. I have switched to a smaller light, keeping my larger for backup, but feeding the corals could be fun.

feeding the corals is not only fun to watch, but revenge on the annoying squigglies.

This is something to keep in mind for my upcoming November trip to Sunset House. Is this something that is seen on the house reef or is it anywhere? I just want to know so I can be looking for places to put my light and watch the bloodworm be slaughtered.

Blood worms are more active dependent on moon phase with the full moon being their most active period. I get rid of them by sliding my light over to my buddies light and then shut mine off and swim away. I've had swarms of them and zero it all depends. A red filter also seems to lessen the attraction.

Back
Top Bottom