Day Trips from Khao Lak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littleguppie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well, we've finally decided to stay in Khao Lak and do some day trips versus diving out of Phuket or doing a liveaboard. Anyway, we were pretty settled on diving Khao Lak Scuba for a day trip to Similians and then a day trip to Richeleiu, but it's very expensive. I just wanted to check and see anyone thought I could dive these trips for less?

The cost is $150USD to dive Similians + $170 to dive Richeleiu.

Are there better deals or is this about right?

Thank you!

Are these prices are including parkfees and/or equipment?

Richelieu Rock (excluding fees and equipment) 5000 Baht, so around 150 US$, Similans (excluding fees and equipment) 4800 Baht, so around 145 US$.

Both are good value for money trips.

Long way to travel. You might want to check how long it will take you to reach those destinations.

You are paying more per day than I did for a liveaboard out of Khao Lak and as mase mentioned thats a long run out there, which is why liveaboards are so popular there.

Wedevbc is correct (sorry for the spelling), how many dives do you get for the day trip price!!!!

2 dives on the day trips. 2 dives at Similians and 2 dives at Richelieu. Both take about 1 1/2 hours to get to on a fast speed boat ride to the site. Yes, equipment (except dive computer if you want one) and national park fees are included in the prices above.

I'd LOVE to do a liveaboard but simply do not have the time. Wedivebc - I can't imagine you paid less than $300 USD to do a liveaboard. Who did you use...that would be an amazing deal and we might cancel some things in order to do a liveaboard for that price.

If you had to pick one or the other - Similians or Richelieu - which one would you pick?

Khao Lak Scuba won't let us dive Richelieu without us first diving Similians so they can make sure we are skilled enough to dive Richelieu. Is this common practice? Is there a company we could use out of Khao Lak to just dive Richelieu?

Should we skip a trip to Khao Lak all together and spend all 7 days on Phuket? Day trips out of Phuket instead? I really wanted to dive Similians and Richeleiu though...

I did look at these guys, but to do similians and richeleiu you have to do at least a 4 night/4day trip and we don't have the time. :(

The 3 day/2 night only dives Similians...

I guess this is the going rate if you want to do day trips. It's a long way out there so we are paying for that speedboat ride.

Anyone know of any other companies out of Khao Lak that dives day trips to Richeleiu? We might just skip Similians and do only one day trip.

Thanks!

Are these prices are including parkfees and/or equipment?

Richelieu Rock (excluding fees and equipment) 5000 Baht, so around 150 US$, Similans (excluding fees and equipment) 4800 Baht, so around 145 US$.

Both are good value for money trips.

Sounds like ok value to me, particularly compared to my locality in Thailand where I have been asked for up to 4000bt for a boat ride of under 1 hour to quite poor dive sites.
To dive both of these places you have to travel a considerable distance, and at least when you get there the diving is excellent. Hope you enjoy your trip, what ever you decide to do.

Back
Top Bottom