Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wondered why the Lodge Kura Hulanda could not keep afloat. Several years ago, we really enjoyed our stay there. We are looking into visiting the island in Feb(I know, late planning, husband changed jobs yada yada yada), We were hoping to stay at the Marazul, but things are booked that week. Coral Estates look nice, but really zeroing in on staying in Westpunt. I see that the El Rancho Sobrino has vacancies. The prices are good (too good?). Anybody have any input on that place? We don't need luxury, but clean and quiet a must. Thanks in advance for any input.

Hotel Kura Hulanda was in town next to the museum, it closed in 2013.

Lodge Kura Hulanda is/was in West Punt, just north of the dive operation, Go West Diving. The dive operation was called Ocean Encounters West when we used it and stayed at Lodge Kura Hulanda in 2010. I assume Go West used to be owned by or associated with Ocean Encounters that runs out of LIonsDive and Sunscape

I'm sure @Saturated and satisfied knows more details, including the current status of Lodge Kura Hulanda. There have been rumors for years about it returning to its former glory.
Yes, I meant this lodge just N of the dive shop at Kalki. BTW, do you (or anyone who's reading this) know if there is a decent home reef at Marazul? Google map shows me a cliff with no beach.

Yes, I meant this lodge just N of the dive shop at Kalki. BTW, do you (or anyone who's reading this) know if there is a decent home reef at Marazul? Google map shows me a cliff with no beach.
Excellent diving at Marazul! There are two sets of stars going to a platform. Short swim out, my favorite diving on the island.

We saw in May work underway on the former kura hulanda resort. The beach area and beach side restaurant were redone and open.

Trying to remember the name of a resort, probably gone for 10-15 years now. Distinctive feature was waking up the first morning, opening the blinds to the sight of an elderly couple on the beach butt naked. So one side of the beach was nudist. It was a nice resort with a good dive op. We even dove it with Go West 5 or so years ago. There is a small plane wreck there. I recall pictures being posted here of the remains of the resort shortly after it closed. Anyone?

Sunset Waters? The Cessna plane wreck is there, right off the beach, just a skeleton. Nice uncrowded dive, most people don't get out there.

Sunset Waters? The Cessna plane wreck is there, right off the beach, just a skeleton. Nice uncrowded dive, most people don't get out there.
Yes, that's the name!!! Thanks! It really was nice resort. They even had some apartments for longer stays if I recall.

I always wondered why the Lodge Kura Hulanda could not keep afloat. Several years ago, we really enjoyed our stay there. We are looking into visiting the island in Feb(I know, late planning, husband changed jobs yada yada yada), We were hoping to stay at the Marazul, but things are booked that week. Coral Estates look nice, but really zeroing in on staying in Westpunt. I see that the El Rancho Sobrino has vacancies. The prices are good (too good?). Anybody have any input on that place? We don't need luxury, but clean and quiet a must. Thanks in advance for any input.
Have you looked at lagun blou in lagun? Not westpunt but 10 min away.

Have you looked at lagun blou in lagun? Not westpunt but 10 min away.
I moved my vacation ahead by one week and found a vacancy at Marazul! So relieved since my favorite dive sites are right there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom