DC1200 Halo ring in images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhhoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband has gotten the DC1200 with one strobe and a wide angle lens and absolutely loves it.

We have one question though. Periodically he will have an image that has a "halo" effect with the edges/corners being a different shade than the rest of the image. Not blacked out just darker. Always in a circular pattern.

Is this due to the wide angle lens? What should he do to correct the problem?

Thanks so much!!!

Can you post some pics?

Got a similar issue on my first dives with my DC1200. I found that air could be trapped between the wide angle and the casing when you intall the wide angle out of water, before the dive. Since then, I always hook the wide angle while under water.

For me, it solved the issue.

Air trapped in between the lens could be one problem. Not sure unless I see the pics. Most commonly vignetting is the cause. If you are shooting with the zoom backed all the way out and you see a dark ring all the way around the pic, try zooming in just slightly and see if that cures it

Sorry for the delay in answering this chain.

Vignetting, is when the optical path of the camera is not lined up with the camera. the Wide Angle is a wet lens so for proper alignment it is important to purge the lens when diving. All you need to do is once underwater, pop off the lens and allow the air to escape, then pop the mens back on trapping water between the lens and the camera.

If you'd like to PM a couple of pictures showing what is happening, I can confirm that this is indeed the issue.

Joe

It's the reflection of your camera lens inside the housing. Sealife has sticky covers to darken the lens and keep it from reflecting.

There is a thread around here where we hashed through this issue. The OP posted a picture with the halo and if you looked close enough, you could make out the writing on the lens

It's the reflection of your camera lens inside the housing. Sealife has sticky covers to darken the lens and keep it from reflecting.

I just upgraded from the DC1000 to the DC1200. The DC1000 required the stickers due to the reflection phenomenon you cite (I experienced it & corrected it w/ the stickers). According to SeaLife, the DC1200 does not require these stickers.

Back
Top Bottom