DC1200 Housing Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marshall_d

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I have a brand new Sealife DC1200 camera and strobe. Took delivery on September 10th 2010 and used it for the very first time in Puerto Galera (Philippines). Did eleven amazing dives in 29-30 degree clear water. Maximum depth 30metres.

The camera housing was a great disappointment, on land the menu button does not make contact with the camera's menu button so you have to take the camera out of the housing to change menu items. Under water the menu button works however, the camera keeps switching into playback mode even though I go nowhere near the playback button. I simply could not get any decent shots as the camera would not stay in shoot mode long enough for me to focus and shoot.

Basically I had to resort to video mode in order to get some memories of my greatest ever diving experience.

I note there are other entries related to the housing not working as expected. Is this a common fault with the DC1200?

Marsh......................

Sorry for your luck,

I have had the DC1200 for over amonth now took it out on at least 10 or so dives and camera has worked Flwlessly for me. I swith through the settings while underwater and on land playing with different set-ups. I have pics and video's posted here on SB.
I see your in AUS. so not sure how service works out but Contact Sealife Joe he is usually here on the board or send him a PM he is a great guy and very helpfull

Marsh,
Very sorry to hear about the problems you had with the DC1200. You can send in the camera to us for evaluation. Is sounds like it should be covered under the Sealife warranty. Just go to our website eScuba a bright idea - Australian distributor for SeaLife snorkeling and scuba diving cameras, create an account and follow the RMA directions to send the camera in. Again, if you have an authorized dealer you are working with they can also help you with returning the camera.
eScuba Service, RMA and Repairs
If you have any questions please email us at info@escuba.com.au

I too have had the DC1200 for couple months...I've had it on about 15 dives and had no troubles...it must be a one off issue...

Hello Marsh,

Sorry to hear about the problem with the housing. I see that Escuba has commented already as well, so please contact them to get this taken care of for you. It is not a common problem but one that is easily taken care of. Keep us informed on how you make out and if you need anything else from me, send me a PM.

SeaLife Joe

Hi Joe, I've contacted eScuba and they haven't responded, I've also contacted Dolphin Scuba of San Diego from whom I made the purchase on-line. I'm still awaiting a response from them. All I want to know is should I return the housing to Dolphin, to you guys or to eScuba in OZ?

Thanx,

Marsh.............

Got my camera back from being repaired under maintenance by eScuba of Sydney Australia. Superquick turnaround, I'm very pleased with the service and looking forward to October 24th when I next dive. The dive site is a small marine mark 2 kilomotres from my home in Sydney Australia, the site is called "Ship Rock", cannot wait. Many thanx to DolphinScuba and eScuba.

Hi I've just bought the DC1200 with many years of using a DC600 behind me. I have also been using the SL961D flash plus wide angle lens attachment and have many fabulous Pictures. On first tests OUT of the water with the DC1200 I am already disappointed!

There was always an issue with the DC600 when using the wide angle lens attachment as you have to 'zoom in' ever so slightly to avoid vignetting (black corners in the picture). When in 'external flash' mode with the DC1200 I notice that the zoom doesn't quite go to the full Wide position, presumably deliberately to avoid vignetting? However, at the widest possible zoom position in 'external flash' mode I get a bright white corner in every picture (top right). This is due to some sort of internal reflection (through the transparent plastic of the internal body under the rubber). I can get rid of this by zooming in some more, but that negates the point of using a wide angle lens!

Worse still, even at this zoom setting I get a 'new moon' shaped blue mark in each picture towards bottom left, again due to internal reflection. I'd say that this is due to poor design and insufficient testing. A good reason for moving to the DC1200 was that my existing accessories supposedly work just as well with the new camera and housing as with my DC600. Not so!

I fly to the Red Sea on Friday but am so deflated by this that I am loathe to take the DC1200 because I'd rather get my money back before getting the thing wet, and take my trusty DC600. Unless there is a miracle cure? Help please you Sealife guys?

Back
Top Bottom