DC1200 O-ring questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trista Anne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I left this too long so now I'm on a desperate hunt for a DC1200 housing o ring for my trip to Southern Florida on Friday. I've called about 20 shops down there with no luck so far. LDS was supposed to be ordering me one a month ago but I guess I didn't stay on their case about it enough because they don't have it for me. I've had the camera about 5 years but it hasn't been wet in 4 years so I'm nervous to dive it without a new o ring. My sister in law flies in to Miami this morning and is willing to go anywhere between there and Pompano Beach for me. There is the option to dive the camera and housing as is, using my o-ring. The o-ring looks great. It has some fuzz that I will remove before using of course, but it's still nice and pliable, I stored for the last 4 years with the housing open, so no decompression or squishing of the o-ring. But it's *so* hard to think about risking a $200 inner camera for what will cost me about $45 in the part and overnight shipping... I have one more place to call today. My last hope, I guess.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

---------- Post added December 30th, 2015 at 10:58 AM ----------

The place I called today *has* the o-ring, but they're about an hour north of where my sister in law is right now. Bummer. Looks like I won't be diving my camera this trip.

The o-ring looks great. It has some fuzz that I will remove before using of course, but it's still nice and pliable, I stored for the last 4 years with the housing open, so no decompression or squishing of the o-ring.
Sounds like your oring is in great shape - no need to replace it. Why do you think it needs replaced? Properly cared for, orings can last decades.

You can also try a simple stretch test to ensure it does not deform - stretch it just a little bit. Does the oring resist? No is bad. Does it retract back to original size? No is bad.

If you are still really nervous, take the empty housing on a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom