Dc1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpaules

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have asked Santa for the DC 1200 and was curious as to current users thoughts and pros and cons? I liked the piano keys, as its cold up here in Michigan and gloves are a must. Thanks

Im also considering buying the DC1200 this week to take on a cruise with me. Doesnt seem like the best camera in the world but it does seem like it was made for ease of use while diving. It would be nice if the video was HD but I guess its not a huge thing.

Its definitely not the best camera in the world...but for that particular price range its probably the best you can get. I had mine out on about 20 dives. Its definitely simple and easy to use and the case clamping system is pretty good. The piano keys are definitely good for easy navigation. The one thing I wasnt crazy about is that one of the menu sets can't be navigated to with the piano keys (I can't remember which one). It isn't a necessary one, but one that I found myself wanting to play around with underwater to see the effects immediately on the shots. Its a decent little camera though.

I have owned camera since mid Summer. I am happy with it, This is my first camera so I am still working with it figuring things out. If you look I have some photos posted as well as 2 or 3 videos I have shot. Pictures come out pretty good and well enough that I am happy. It does take some practice and getting used to figuring out the settings and manual white balance to get really good shots. But if your expecting Pics that look in the dive book you probably will be dissapointed. I have only had the oppertunity to dive here in Northeast so less then Ideal conditions maybe 25' of viz at best but still think pics came out well.

Here is a link to the thread with some DC1200 Pics as well as 2 Video's I posted as you scroll through my pics you will see they progressivly get better

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sealife-station/340053-sealife-dc-1200-pictures.html

My fiancee recently switched to the 1200 from her DC600. The only thing she hates is that you can't zoom in on the images. It's impossible to see if you got your subject in focus until you get home and download the photos. It's like going back to the old days of shooting film, not knowing if the image would be any good until you pay for developing.
Also, she now has to be four inches away for the camera to focus compared to two inches with her DC600.

Last edited:
I find that it is easy to set-up, even w/ heavy gloves on underwater. My batteries went dead in my flash durring a dive. I was still able get some good pictures by changing the settings.

I too have asked Santa for the DC1200 kit with the strobe and wide angle lens. The question I have is how long will the batteries last using photo only as opposed to video?

I have just purchased a DC1200 elite and took it diving in Key Largo, FL a couple of weeks ago. It works pretty well. Being my first underwater camera it is simple to use. The battery in the strobe only lasts about two hours of diving and taking photos. I still do not trust the auto setting on the flash even though I think I should. If I do not think it is bright enough I turn it up and then there is a lot of backscatter. Does anyone else have any tips with using the strobe?

Back
Top Bottom