DCI and the perils of diving in a mixed EAN/Air Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive nitrox exclusively when I can get it. All my local quarry diving is done on 32%. For wreck diving below the MOD for 32%, I’ll generally do 28% for anything deeper for recreational limits.

$14 Nitrox vs $10 air. Not that much of a difference. I feel better and less tired after. I’m not a spring chicken. :wink:

My LDS banks EAN32 and it is my go to load for my tanks. I typically don't dive anywhere near the MOD of EAN32 and I figure the less Nitrogen I pump into my system the better. The more experienced folks I usually dive with are usually always on air and since I run out of air first, it isn't a problem.

There’s no such thing as a no deco dive, it’s a tourist diver myth. Once you accept this you’ll plan your diving properly.

If there were such a thing as a No Decompression dive, we wouldn't still be in a pressure group at the end of a dive.

We also wouldn't be advised to do a surface interval.

Or to wait before flying.

"Every dive is a deco dive."

If there were such a thing as a No Decompression dive, we wouldn't still be in a pressure group at the end of a dive.

We also wouldn't be advised to do a surface interval.

Or to wait before flying.

"Every dive is a deco dive."
Then why do people think they can make dives to no decompression limits. Learn decompression and avoid dci.

Then why do people think they can make dives to no decompression limits. Learn decompression and avoid dci.
Maybe they were taught to dive by an instructor who had no idea about decompression diving and in a system that traditionally regarded deco diving as voodoo?

Another thing is people often “learn” from how tools work. The term “NDL” sort of implies a no deco dive, being within the no deco limit. When I was originally learning this they were definitely “no stop dives” as the tables either had stops or didn’t have stops for a given dive time.

These days, on SB at least, the tools are GF numbers and people here have developed mental models of risk and comparative conservatism based on those. Whether that is good or not is up for debate. I suspect some people are gaming the numbers rather than following fundamental good practice - eg long SI, proper profiles, proper gas, days off, hydration etc etc.

Maybe they were taught to dive by an instructor who had no idea about decompression diving and in a system that traditionally regarded deco diving as voodoo?

Another thing is people often “learn” from how tools work. The term “NDL” sort of implies a no deco dive, being within the no deco limit. When I was originally learning this they were definitely “no stop dives” as the tables either had stops or didn’t have stops for a given dive time.

These days, on SB at least, the tools are GF numbers and people here have developed mental models of risk and comparative conservatism based on those. Whether that is good or not is up for debate. I suspect some people are gaming the numbers rather than following fundamental good practice - eg long SI, proper profiles, proper gas, days off, hydration etc etc.
So true.
In the old day I seldom came across 1hr surface interval but pretty standard nowadays. Some divers will laugh at you if suggested 2hrs!
I belong to old school so I have my routine to deal with multi-dive multi-day type of diving ie. take half a day off toward the end of the trip and scale down on number of dive per day and max depth etc etc.
Some computer equipped with dual algorithms and I wonder which is the most popular preference among divers conservative or liberal?

What people seem to be doing is instead of planning a deco stop if they get delayed there setting the computer to make up for the mistake.

Back
Top Bottom