DCI and the perils of diving in a mixed EAN/Air Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox should be included in open water vs a ******** 200 extra dollars to get shown how to use an analyzer, but the scuba police aren’t incentivized to create competent divers in ow.

The reason Nitrox is not included in OW is because they would have to increase the price of the class, not to mention lengthening it. With everyone looking for the lowest price, rather than the highest quality instruction, even a small increase in price would make them non competitive in the marketplace.

If your all training consisted of being shown how to use an analyzer, you should have turned the instructor for standards violation rather than accept the card. $200 sounds high, but is dependant on the marketplace.

The reason Nitrox is not included in OW is because they would have to increase the price of the class, not to mention lengthening it. With everyone looking for the lowest price, rather than the highest quality instruction, even a small increase in price would make them non competitive in the marketplace.

If your all training consisted of being shown how to use an analyzer, you should have turned the instructor for standards violation rather than accept the card. $200 sounds high, but is dependant on the marketplace.
It was under $200.00 for my PADI AOW speciality course in 1997 but included two dives as well.

It was under $200.00 for my PADI AOW speciality course in 1997 but included two dives as well.

I paid a little over $100 for a private class, no dives, back in 200something. The only reason was that I was going on another SoCal liveaboard for a three day lobster trip, and wanted to decrease nitrogen exposure.

Prior to the boat trips, my diving was local and if nitrox was available it would have no effect on the dive profiles. It was about the same time I switched to a computer from tables.

Its probably because the terminology used makes it obvious, but I can't believe I'm the only one who is curious about the Primary and backup computers and what algorithms they use.

I assume, if you'd followed your primary you'd have been even worse off.....Shouldn't P0, whatever that means, be a safe setting?

What are your primary and backup computers?

The reason Nitrox is not included in OW is because they would have to increase the price of the class, not to mention lengthening it.

Give me a break the standards and procedures for the class is, e-learning and quiz, lecture, then analyze 2 cylinders, log them, and program the computer.

That could very easily be included in ow diver training with minimal additional time because most of the information would be tacked onto the physic and philology sections that already exist, and they’d just dive nitrox with the class and do the analysis and logging then.

they finically motivated to perpetuate the status quo. It’s interesting that GUE includes it in REC1. It’s what happens when the focus is on creating safe and comfortable divers versus a guppy mill.

Give me a break the standards and procedures for the class is, e-learning and quiz, lecture, then analyze 2 cylinders, log them, and program the computer.
they finically motivated to perpetuate the status quo. It’s interesting that GUE includes it in REC1. It’s what happens when the focus is on creating safe and comfortable divers versus a guppy mill.
Rec OW has depth limit of 18m, PADI at least.
Nitrox is still NOT that widely available in SE Asia! I did my training in 1997.
Plenty of OW certified diver has not intention to go beyond that level.
And depend on the number of student in the class, easily couple of hrs required. FO2, MOD, PPO2 and TOD do take time to explain to those who had given up science yrs ago.
As for GUE? I am glad I never did any of their courses. People like you had put me off all those yrs ago.

I do hope you did not imply that only GUE focus on creating safe and comfortable divers!!!!!!!
I regard myself as comfortable and safe diver trained by PADI and IANTD. Can't speak for the others.

It’s interesting that GUE includes it in REC1.

Not when one realizes the Gue course is longer and costs more than the average agency class. I would say that Gue is also motivated to perpetuate their financial status quo, as well.

Rec OW has depth limit of 18m, PADI at least.

The OW 60' depth limit is only when under instruction, or when a dive op requires it as a condition of their service.

The OW 60' depth limit is only when under instruction, or when a dive op requires it as a condition of their service.
I am aware of that but I did come across plenty operators in SE Asia insisted on the depth limit. Put Another Dollar In? To promote AOW? I would not know. Anything is possible!

The real issue is that every single thing is a speciality these days. Nitrox should be included in open water vs a ******** 200 extra dollars to get shown how to use an analyzer, but the scuba police aren’t incentivized to create competent divers in ow.
Nitrox 32 and 36 are included in the entry level BSAC course, Ocean Diver.

Everyone should be using nitrox for anything non trivial or repetitive diving. Compared to the overall cost of diving it is the cheapest way to improve safety.

Back
Top Bottom