DCS and Flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bear1019

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a question which I am 99% I have the answer to, but better safe and embarrassed I asked than the alternative:
I am doing my Rescue Diver lessons in a pool (19’ max depth) on a Sunday 9am-11am.
I have to fly at 6am Monday (next day).
Given the 24 hour rule, can I fly?
Thanks
Torsten

www.divingwithoutfins.com

Short answer: You'll be fine.

Long answer: Dive tables don't even start untill 35' If your pool only goes down to 19' you're not even close. My dive computer won't even give me a NDL untill I get down below 20' - and even then it's something stupid like 300 minutes.

Also - rescue classes have an awful lot of surface skills - I'd be willing to bet that you'll spend less then 15 min of this class on or near the bottom of the pool.

If you were REALLY worried, and have a Nitrox cert I guess you could breathe that, but I personally wouldn't worry about it.

DAN has no "24 hour rule". They have a 12 hour rule for single dives, and a 18 hour rule for multiple dives. Even using the 12 hour rule for a 19 foot max dive is tenuous unless it was a really long dive, maybe not even then. You will note that the 12-18-24 hour rules say nothing about depth, duration or what gas you mix was used. That matters. But if all that was added it would be more complicated so we have simple rules that do not apply very well most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom