DCS and no DAN - WHAT NEXT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'll just make it easy on myself and permanently scratch Mexico off my wish list of destinations. Better safe than sorry, and there's no shortage of awesome dive sites in that region of the world.

Canadians have entirely different medical coverage that varies between provinces I believe. Of the few I've read discussing DAN coverages, most have said that their medical coverage pays for diving accidents in Canada or for treatment in Canada, but not outside of their country - so they will buy DAN America dive insurance to cover them on trips, or diving near our border when they might be treated in the US. Some provinces may cover citizens outside of the country, but I don't know.

That isn't entirely true, although you are right that the coverage varies slightly between provinces.

In Ontario, where I live, OHIP (Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan) covers virtually all medical treatments while in the province. If we travel outside the province, OHIP will generally cover the treatment, but only at the OHIP treatment rate. Because healthcare is socialized in Canada, as it is in almost all civilized nations :wink:, the cost of treatment is quite low. For example, the cost to set a broken arm might be only $250 or something... So if I drive to Vermont to ski, and break my arm, and it costs $750 to fix it there, then I would pay my bill, submit the claim to OHIP, and be reimbursed $250 only. That's why anyone with a brain takes out travel insurance or uses a card with coverage to book trips etc. I do a lot of day trips and long weekends to ski in NY and VT, so I just buy an annual "out of province" coverage for those little trips from Blue Cross or someplace. It costs about $130 a year even for an old fart like me.

Travelling outside the province, but within Canada, is less of an issue. Again, if I go to BC to ski, and break my arm there, the treatment cost would be about the same, and the treatment would be covered. The BC and Ontario governments would reconcile the charges now and again. My wife blew her leg apart skiing in Alberta a few years ago. Surgery for a rod and screws, drugs and five days in a hospital cost her $65. (for a set of crutches). A guy from Japan, with an identical break, was checking out at the same time and he didn't have travel insurance. He put $10,000 on his credit card.

With regard to chamber treatment, it used to be that OHIP would cover the medical treatment.... doctors, drugs etc., but not the actual chamber operation proper. I believe that's still the case. Ya, it's weird. If out of province, OHIP likely would only cover a bare minimum, and only after the fact.

DAN Insurance, plus my AMEX Gold Card and a little Blue Cross (just in case) and I'm covered. To do anything less is to court financial ruin, or even worse, to have treatment withheld...

Had DAN take 6 months to pay for a middle ear DCS treatment.Cancelled the second the last bill was paid.I was assured the whole time it would be handled ASAP.Was less than 2K$ for the ER visit and follow ups as there is no real treatment other than time but I was nauseous and had 0 equilibrium for a while.

I have IWR'd half a dozen guys and seen it work up to 3 days later on several.It is SOP on extended long range commercial spearfishing trips.Probly half the guys I know have IWR at least once.We dive up to 7 times a day x 4-7 days and there is no reliable safe way to do that.

In response to Flotsam who asked why there aren't more complaints on the forums about this problem: We believe the reason there hasn't been more public complaint is that the average diver is pretty ignorant of what happens in a DCS case - especially Type I cases. The stress level an affected diver will be so high, in most cases, that all they take away from the experience is that they survived.

The US Navy Diving Manual, under Rules for Recompression Treatment, says ¨NEVER fail to treat doubtful cases¨. (Table 20-1)

Last edited:
I think I'll just make it easy on myself and permanently scratch Mexico off my wish list of destinations. Better safe than sorry, and there's no shortage of awesome dive sites in that region of the world.

It would be a mistake to scratch Mexico off your list. It is a superb dive destination. Not only beautiful and affordable diving, but great people, food and culture, and affordable good quality healthcare. After more than 2000 dives in the area from Xcalak to Isla Mujeres, it is still at the top of my list.

What ever happened to grabbing a fresh tank and going back down for awhile ?
Not at all a good idea. It has a lot of dangers along with uncertain outcomes at best. Medical treatment is certainly preferred.

Last edited:
What ever happened to grabbing a fresh tank and going back down for awhile ?
IWR is not recommended except for extreme expeditions, where the recompression is done with oxygen and a full face mask, rigging at 6m to supply a comfortable position for the victim and the attendant.
Going back down with DCS is extremly dangerous because the symtoms can get worse, surface oxygen is the way to go until you get to the chamber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom