DCS, cockroach bites, dengue, and malaria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutchpickle

Contributor
Reaction score
You can run into all sorts of wierd situations diving in Asia. If you get a DCS hit in remote islands past Alor for instance I don't have a clue how you would get out of there promptly. Make sure that you have your Dan insurance paid up because this could be a real nightmare. Maybe it would be a good place to try in water recompression if it was an emergency. (My opinion only, I am not a doctor, and not really a very good diver either)

Malaria is another possibility. Some malarial prevention medications can have a strange affect on people which could intensify the effect of narcosis. My theory only,( I am not a doctor). I knew 2 people in Palawan (not divers that got malaria). One died. I also have run across many people in Indonesia that have had malaria but recovered nicely, (but a few lost their kids). Best to cover up, use a net, and bug repellant if diving in remote locations. Usually there is no problem at the dive resorts.

Dengue fever is another annoying illness that can put you in bed for a while. Sometimes kids succomb to it, but usually adults are ok after 7 days.(but skinnier and with wierd skin blotches). You get it from mosquitoes also.

Another bizarre thing I have run across is that those jumbo cockroaches can sneak up on you and bite at night. Usually on the head. Really! It is not too serious but a welt will develope for a few days before it subsides.

Anything to add to the list?

Of course, one should have the basic "package" of Hepatitis A and B, Diphteria-Tetanus, Polio and Typhus...

I have Malarone as a stand-by when going to West Papua next month (just diving, no tour inside the country). And as you said, it's best to take care you won't be bitten - repellants and long sleeves/trousers....

dutchpickle:
Anything to add to the list?
Yeah; you worry too much. After diving, living and travelling throughout Asia for 22 years, I have never had a worry about any of those things. I do keep my hepatitis and tetanus shots current and I use basic common sense wherever I go and whatever I do but I don't think twice about those things you mention.

Not really worrying - just thinking ahead. Malaria is a concern in some areas, probably not an issue in Singapore.

Some divers like to have a plan of action if DCS did happen.

Dengue can floor you and is preventable.

The cockroach bites were just added so my posts are not so boring. Not very dangerous but it is kind of gross.

Watch out for falling coconuts. I was sitting outside a dive shop on PP once and I heard a big "thud" hit the umbrella above me. I looked and saw a coconut rolling away. I might have been toast if it wasn't for the umbrella.

jiveturkey:
Watch out for falling coconuts. I was sitting outside a dive shop on PP once and I heard a big "thud" hit the umbrella above me. I looked and saw a coconut rolling away. I might have been toast if it wasn't for the umbrella.
I've actually been hit on the head by a falling branch from a coconut tree!!!

It hurts......

jiveturkey:
I'm sure someone more diligent can ferret out the statistic, but I seem to recall a staggering number of deaths are attributed annually to falling coconuts...

jiveturkey:

I don't know where PP is...? but in the Philippines you don't have to worry about coconuts. You'd be hard pressed to find any coconuts in the thousands....millions of coconut trees because they cut the stem of the fruit (coconuts) to drain the sap to make tubbah......the local wine, and langao (the vinegar that is on every table). Seriously, coconuts are rare.

Back
Top Bottom