DCS treatment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi aquamarine1. I'm so sorry to hear of your DCS incident and that you didn't get adequate help in a timely manner. I too would be very interested to hear your story if you feel up to sharing it.

I have good news for you and bad news. The good news is that I have recovered from the DCS. I have not been back diving yet but that is due to ankle problems (I broke my ankle a year ago and it is still very weak and I re-injured it a couple months ago).

The bad news is that recovery from the DCS did take some time. I felt pretty terrible for about a month after treatment. I was extremely tired, had difficulty concentrating and my short term memory was terrible. My arms and hands continued to be numb/tingly. After about a month these symptoms were no longer noticeable except for the fact that when I lay down on my side my arm and hand would "fall asleep" very easily. My arms were also extremely easily fatigued. It was tiring to do even the most basic things like brushing my teeth or using a hairdryer. I was told that this was due to the damage to my tissues and it should get better. Over time it gradually got better and better. It took about 5 months though. I haven't had any noticeable symptoms for about a month.

The best advice I can give you is to rest as much as possible. This allows your body to heal. Also be patient. It may take awhile to recover. One of the hardest things for me was to believe that I would eventually get better. As time wore on I started to doubt that I would ever fully recover. That can be very hard on a person emotionally. Between the slow recovery from DCS and my ongoing ankle problems I became very discouraged as I was so limited physically. A friend of mine had warned me that depression can occur after DCS (it happened to her) and I think I did experience that. It can be a long, tough road to full recovery but believe that you will get better. The body has an amazing ability to heal itself. Be patient and don't push yourself.

I hope some of what I have said is helpful. Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted on how you are going.

Thanks H20_kat- I appreciate you taking the time to fill me in on your recovery- boy it has taken you quite some time. I really assumed that after treatment I would be back in the water in a few weeks. I think being patient is the hardest part. I am not usually into sharing these sort of things (prefer to come across as strong and invincible), but happy to post my story if it helps others. I will start a new thread. Are you cleared to dive now?

Timely treatment is important for a quick recovery. People get bent far worse than I was but get in the chamber quickly and have a full resolution of symptoms immediately after treatment. If treatment is delayed this becomes less likely. You indicate that you had a delay of about 24 hours before you got treatment. I was about 48 hours. From what I have been told, by the time I was in the chamber, the nitrogen bubbles were gone and the damage was done. From my understanding, treatment then becomes about oxygenating the tissues to promote healing rather than getting rid of nitrogen. I'm no expert but this is my understanding of what I was told by the dive doctor I have seen a couple times since returning to NZ.

The dive doc said I needed to wait until at least one month after a full resolution of symptoms before diving. It has been about a month now. I haven't bothered to go back because at the moment my ankle isn't up for diving. I probably wouldn't get cleared because I don't think I could get back on a boat without pain. Shore diving is definitely out of the question. I am scheduled to see a sports physician about my ankle in a couple weeks and hopefully will make some progress there. I haven't been in the water for more than 6 months and I want to get back in! I can understand your impatience. The really frustrating part is not knowing how long it will take to fully recover.

I would definitely like to find out the circumstances surrounding your treatment as it obviously wasn't ideal. I'm sure your story will help others. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom