Tingling fingers 40 hours after last dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes! They will advise you of what to do and won't charge you. You should call them on their non-emergency number for advice.
i didn't know that i thought you need to pay a annual fee and be a member to have medical consultation.

Did they tingle BEFORE you went diving? No? Then assume you are having DCS symptoms.

Maybe, maybe not.

Divers often hyper-extend their neck- very common. When floating horizontally to look forward.

This causes excessive stimulations in the C3-6 vertebrae. Fingers tingle.

Get medical advice.

Did they tingle BEFORE you went diving? No? Then assume you are having DCS symptoms.
Given that first symptoms did not occur until 40 hours after not very aggressive NDL diving, it is extremely unlikely to be DCS.

Assuming DCS anyway would mean ignoring other much more likely, and possibly just as dangerous, causes.

DCS can not be 100% ruled out, so talk to DAN as @BoltSnap recommended. But, especially if it persists, seek medical attention to identify which of the many more likely causes it probably is.

i didn't know that i thought you need to pay a annual fee and be a member to have medical consultation.

No, not for advice/consultation. Paying money is for insurance to cover costs for emergency transportation and medical treatment but consultation is free. They are that nice.

My point was more that people usually try and convince themselves that it's definitely not DCS even though the symptoms appeared after diving. It's not going to hurt anything to take some aspirin, drink some water and breathe O-2 for a while.

I used to get tingly feelings in my fingers after a dive weekend. To cut to the ending, it was a result of all the handling of the heavy tanks and equipment. Carpal tunnel surgery solved the problem.

Lots of things can cause tingling like that, and I agree with those who say DCS is highly unlikely in this case.

My point was more that people usually try and convince themselves that it's definitely not DCS even though the symptoms appeared after diving. It's not going to hurt anything to take some aspirin, drink some water and breathe O-2 for a while.
"drink some water and breathe O-2 for a while" for (mild) symptoms that start 40 hours after the last (mild) dive?

Far more likely it is some thing else that happened during those 40 hours. It would be better trying to figure out the real cause than "breath O-2 for a while". How many hours after the last dive would you tribute tingling fingers to some thing other than the diving? 4 days? 4 weeks? 4 years?

For that mater, how long is "a while" in your "breath O-2 for a while"? 5 minutes? 5 hours? 5 days? on what basis? Even if it really was DCS, this long after the dive O-2 would only be effective in conjunction with re-compression.

Back
Top Bottom